I'm really new and I have questions

Lidizzle

I was recently given a 2012 Mazda 5, I have absolutely no experience with car audio or posting in forums. I want to put a Sub in the car. however i have no idea where to begin (best buy was no help). I'm looking for recommendations for speaker size , and how to find/ buy a custom enclosure for the jack area.

Ok, before we start tossing out suggestions to you. First basic question is what is your budget, how much bass do you want, is the only change you want to make a subwoofer.

I was recently given a 2012 Mazda 5, I have absolutely no experience with car audio or posting in forums. I want to put a Sub in the car. however i have no idea where to begin (best buy was no help). I'm looking for recommendations for speaker size , and how to find/ buy a custom enclosure for the jack area.
Welcome. You can go to crutchfield.com, and put in year, make, and model of your car, and the have a data base that will tell what will fit in your particular vehicle. How much power are you planning to run? I ask because you may need to upgrade your electrical system. Most of us do what we call the big 3, and we also add the largest agm battery in the oem location under the hood. What is your budget/plan, a big mind blowing system, or some decent sound quality for cruising the streets?

What are your goals and how much money and space are you looking to invest.

My wife had that exact same Mazda5 so I may be able to help you if you state your goal, budget, and so on. We that car was outfitted with only a JL WXV2 10”, and because the cabin gain was pretty good, it sounded great.

Oh wow, I posted the night before we had a mini vacation, Sorry for the delayed response. I was looking to replace both front lower speakers as well as the 2 rear speakers. With an added Sub, I would really like to have a fiberglass sub enclosure for the jack space. I have already upgraded the head unit to a Sony XAV-AX100. My budget is $1,500. In general I would like better sound quality with more bass, I am not looking to shake windows.

Oh wow, I posted the night before we had a mini vacation, Sorry for the delayed response. I was looking to replace both front lower speakers as well as the 2 rear speakers. With an added Sub, I would really like to have a fiberglass sub enclosure for the jack space. I have already upgraded the head unit to a Sony XAV-AX100. My budget is $1,500. In general I would like better sound quality with more bass, I am not looking to shake windows.
You may be able to get by with a five channel amp, if not, alpine makes a small four channel amp that fits behind the head unit, 45 x 4 class d amp, I used one in a prior vehicle and it did decent for what it was. There are several nice 8 inch subs that are amazing for 8s, and you might be able to use it in your trunk and still have space.

Look for one of the 5 channel amps out there...PPI, NVX or such. Can find one of those for $200. There are plenty of nice 8s or 10s you could do...in under $400 with a nice box. Door speakers $300 or so, probably focus on the fronts. That leaves plenty for wiring and installation accessories. Links below are a starting point. Plenty of other options. If you do a fiberglass mold you may be stuck with a sealed sub. Possibly a sundown sd series or a JL w3 if you find a good deal on one. I have a single 4 ohm I would let got for $120 or so. Would not be a great fit for a lot of the 5 channel amps out there though.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40253_NVX-JAD900.5.html

SSA Shop - Sundown Audio E10 sub woofer

AudioFrog 6x8 ($299) for the front doors with a 2 channel or 4 channel amplifier bridged to give them 100 watts rms each. The Pioneer D8604 (~$140 like Walmart) is a good budget amplifier. Get some cheaper 6x8 coaxial for the rear such as Kicker or Pioneer for less than $100 and run them off of the head units power. The Alpine SWS-10 sounds awesome in a correct ported enclosure or the Sundown SD3-10 in a .5 cu ft box also sounds good too. The JBL GTX-500 ($99 on Chrutchfield) is a steal and will be perfect on either sub. Don’t forget the 4 gauge OFC amplifier wiring kit for each amplifier, which should run you around $60-$100 for each amp. A fiberglass enclosure for that van will have to be custom by someone local.

Most important is treating the doors for the speakers. Read Sound Deadener Showdown about this and they also make the most effective CLD butyl sound deadening tiles. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

$1500 should get you all this if you do a lot of the install yourself.

oh god, john kuthe is back...

OP, youre in good hands here. The guys responding so far are well versed and will steer you in the right direction. I hope youre prepared as the car audio rabbit hole is deep

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.