pioneer vs kenwood double dins....

Rich00
10+ year member

Old timer
Ok so I want a double din stereo for my truck. I have a kenwood x998 now yes its a great HU but I want something that looks better. So a double din is what I'm a looking at. I can get great deals on either of these brands at a local shop so that's why its one of these two brands. $350 very top end money I want to spend. Would prefer under $300.

I don't have an active setup and wont ever have one. I've got excelon 7" door speaker and a 8w3v3 in the JL box behind the pass seat. A JL xd500/3 running it all. It is plenty loud right now I just want more cool factor on the HU.

pioneer avn 391bhs perhaps

kenwood ddx 3,5,7 series. I haven't priced them yet.

One of the biggest differences in the pioneer is that it will do active. Since you don't need that any of the new Kenwood,jvcs and pioneers will do. Do you want Android auto or carplay? My JVC 830 is sweet. Fast UI and sounds crisp.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Co sign on the Pioneer AVH-X490BS. Purchased one for my wife and I'm loving her new stereo. Took her old AVH-3800BHS and installed it in my vehicle. The layout of the 490 is better than the 3800 IMO. Plus the 490 is a 7" screen compared to the 3800 or 391's (which is the newer model of the 3800) 6.2" screen. Also,if you don't mind not having HD radio which the 490 doesn't have, it's a better option.

Just HU

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X490BS-Bluetooth-Receiver-Xm-Ready/dp/B06WLP3SZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503974017&sr=8-1&keywords=avh-x490bs

W/ a backup camera

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X490BS-Touchscreen-Bluetooth-DCO/dp/B06Y21CHJ1/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1503974017&sr=8-6&keywords=avh-x490bs

One of the biggest differences in the pioneer is that it will do active. Since you don't need that any of the new Kenwood,jvcs and pioneers will do. Do you want Android auto or carplay? My JVC 830 is sweet. Fast UI and sounds crisp.
No way i wouldnt recommend the jvc.

No way i wouldnt recommend the jvc.
I would recommend this year's JVCs for sure. JVC and Kenwood are the same company now so your choice would come down to features. HD radio, carplay, stuff like that. And price. The new pioneers are nice too.

I was always more of a Pioneer fan and when I was looking at replacing my wife's whole stereo system last year, I looked at both Pioneer and Kenwood. I ended up going with Pioneer due to the reviews I read online where Kenwood units would have a hissing sound coming from the unit when on. The one thing I do like about the Kenwood units are that some of their double DIN touchscreen still have volume knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always more of a Pioneer fan and when I was looking at replacing my wife's whole stereo system last year, I looked at both Pioneer and Kenwood. I ended up going with Pioneer due to the reviews I read online where Kenwood units would have a hissing sound coming from the unit when on. The one thing I do like about the Kenwood units are that some of their double DIN touchscreen still have volume knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That issue was with the JVCs too. But the new ones for this year seem to have fixed that issue

the realm of decks has been ruled by pioneer for quite some time. There are some up and comers that have been trying to dethrone them as of late with varied success, but the pioneers still rule the roost. That being said, they still have some decks on offer from places like amazon, caco etc etc that are from older lines and may not be as feature rich as one might expect, but the new 2016 & 2017 stuff is pretty well guaranteed a winner esp if youre not looking for active crossovers. One deck thats surprised the hell out of me recently is the sony mex-xb100. Tons of on board power, time alignment, good eq etc etc, its not a DD, but surprising nonetheless

I was in a debate of pioneer vs kenwood double dins last year.Chose the kenwood just to change things up since I've always ran pioneer.

I still regret it.
my jvc is leaps better than my pioneer 4800. never going back. kenwoon and alpine always sounded better. I call that the big 3. kenwood, pioneer and alpine. now that JVC is sister to kenwood they finally put together a high res unit with a simple 3 way network. it sounds better than the pioneer 4800. no doubt at all levels.

For the time being since its was just laying around I put my kenwood excelon x998 single din in. Its gonna be hard to match that sound from a cheaper DD. I went and looked at pioneer 391bhs and 491bhs I just didn't care for them cant tell you why. I like the kenwood 6903s but at $399 I'm not gonna spend that. So Ill just stick with this 998 for a while and see what happens in the HU world

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.