Voltage not jumping back to 14 after load(Bass) is removed

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Everything was kosher until today, during constant load voltage would normally drop to mid 13s then jump right back to 14.7/8 when the bass stopped. Today, voltage drops into the 12s, and after the bass stops, even pausing the song, the voltage will stay in the 12s, and slowly climb back to 14.7. The alternator is less than a week old (DC Power XP270), and its making me think I may have a dead battery.. or two.. The car still starts fine, but initial voltage is low, and slow to climb to operating voltage (14.7) because this happened suddenly (started today) it makes me think its a battery and not the alternator. I checked all connections leaving the alternator and at the batteries and everything seems fine. Anyone had a similar experience? It has also been quite cold lately, perhaps the alternator isn't getting to operating temperature as well..

Everything was kosher until today, during constant load voltage would normally drop to mid 13s then jump right back to 14.7/8 when the bass stopped. Today, voltage drops into the 12s, and after the bass stops, even pausing the song, the voltage will stay in the 12s, and slowly climb back to 14.7. The alternator is less than a week old (DC Power XP270), and its making me think I may have a dead battery.. or two.. The car still starts fine, but initial voltage is low, and slow to climb to operating voltage (14.7) because this happened suddenly (started today) it makes me think its a battery and not the alternator. I checked all connections leaving the alternator and at the batteries and everything seems fine. Anyone had a similar experience? It has also been quite cold lately, perhaps the alternator isn't getting to operating temperature as well..
Sounds like you may have a dying battery. Get a new good one. Two things I've never regretted buying for my car: new tires and new battery! And yes the cold is a stressor on batteries.

John Kuthe...

Sounds like you may have a dying battery. Get a new good one. Two things I've never regretted buying for my car: new tires and new battery! And yes the cold is a stressor on batteries.
John Kuthe...
the correct thing to do is load test each battery individually and figure out which one is the weak link.... NOT your advice of just go buy new batteries

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.