New guy with a messed up problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

ATM_LAunitic

Long question for anyone who knows. I guess this will be my intro lol So, I installed 4 door speakers and 2 tweeters in my car about a year ago. Sounds good. So I'm ready to install subs, 2 tweeters and 3 6x9s. I bought 2 amps and a 2nd car battery for the install. Paid a dude to do the work, not much has gone on so I took initiative and started mounting speakers and running wires. So, I know that most radios are only designed to put out so many rms and decided to run the additional speakers to one amp and the subs to another, leaving the speakers that were aleady instlled running to the radio. However, the guy who's supposed to know more than me about car audio suggested that I run at least the new tweeters to my radio as well. Feeling very sketchy but still trusting I did it, and now the entire right side of my car has no sounds. Speakers, old tweeters or new tweeters. What in the actual **** do I do now? lol

You are going about this in a horrible way. Adding more speakers is not the way to go. It basically screws up soundstage, imaging and produces wierd distortions in the sound waves. You want a better quality/sensitivity set of speakers along with plenty of power via a good amp.

A properly done set of 6.5 and tweeters can easily get louder and sound way better than a car with 4 6x9s on each door. Pull everything out and proper power to your setups first.

for your question tho, Trace all wiring check RCAs.

That's what I'm in the process of doing. I mean, the speakers I had sounded okay, I just wanted a little more. Not to mention I'm a super noob and was operating under little to no guidance at all lol

That's what I'm in the process of doing. I mean, the speakers I had sounded okay, I just wanted a little more. Not to mention I'm a super noob and was operating under little to no guidance at all lol
yeah once you get past a normal speaker swap, you'll never want to run anything on head unit power again. Its basically what causes the distortion you hear when you crank it up loud. Its not the speaker's fault its the dirty power from a weak head unit. Aim to get an amp that does 125 watts RMS or more. Dont look at peak watts aka garbage numbers. Stay away from certain trash brands as well.

If you list a budget, we can tell you whats best for the money out there and how to setup your system properly.

The aux cord wasn't all the way in. See? Noob ****. Not to mention, this wasn't a speaker swap. It was putting them where they weren't. My car in 64 didn't come with a radio or speakers so I did it allll

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ATM_LAunitic

ATM_LAunitic
Detroit, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
JohnKuthe