My install's coming along nicely

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
14480554_1149813791745766_7199466057144804437_o.jpg

Got the head unit in and functional with the stock speaker wires, the two amps in and power and RCA inputs from the head unit in place and functional. Pic was before my installer guy got the ground/ground distribution block installed and no 14AWG speaker wires are installed yet, that's coming next week! :)

John Kuthe...

What vehicle is that? Seems a handy little compartment for audio equipment hiding.
2006 Grand Caravan SE, base model. No middle Stow-n-Go seats in them, just the floor pits they go in and since I will never get any middle Stow-n-Go seats I'm using the floor "storage compartments" for the amps and a 12" subwoofer in a wooden enclosure just behind the driver's seat. (Not shown in pic, being built.)

Yeah it's a great place to hide most all my audio equipment. Running wires under the carpet and into it was a challenge at first but my installer guy has a Dremel tool with a carbide cutting disc and make some neat little notches in the fold down covers to the Stow-n-Go storage compartments to neatly run the wires down and into them!

14484845_1149893405071138_738454211180617726_n.jpg

12V+ OAWG power cable on the driver's side, RCAs from the head unit on the passenger side. Here's the 0AWG 12V+ wire coming back under the driver's seat under the carpet and down into the "audio equipment compartment" where the subwoofer enclosure will live:

14480481_1149908411736304_2226710468637628786_o.jpg

John Kuthe...

My Alpine PXA-H800 Digital sound processor at Crutchfield.com came today! I am so excited!! I have to learn how to work it and I found out the CD included with hit is for Windows laptops only so I can't use my Macbook Pro unless I get an emulation program for my Mac. :-( But at least I bought the little controller thing for the DSP too! Gonna have to get a 3.5mm plug extension for the MONO microphone to auto set the time discrepancies. Mono is good enough for me.

Still waiting on the PHD AF 5.25" two way drivers. They evidently need to be built. Don (PHD U.S. distributor)told me they said they have the parts but are discontinuing the "5.1" AF model, maybe more. But I want one of the last ones built and they can build it out of existing in-stock components and sell it to me. I hope they will. I want one!! Two actually!! ;-)

John Kuthe...

12V+ power and GNDs in:

14633627_1157330787660733_3132386798243526187_o.jpg

Running into electrical problems already. No audio inputs to amps yet, and yet the amps are running far too hot for unloaded amps to run. Suspect a weak GND so gonna run a 0AWG to the neg battery terminal and considering "Big 3" upgrades (higher output alt and more capacious battery, specifically). Can't build a reliable castle in the sky on a weak foundation! ;-)

John Kuthe...

THats not the big 3.. and you should not need a alternator for that power.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

And show your "installer" what a zip tie is

THats not the big 3.. and you should not need a alternator for that power.
Better to have a more substantial base than a weaker one.

And why do you ONLY berate what others have done, rather than lend some sage advice and possibly compliment work done so far? Oh, that's right, damaged karma! Makes you a not very nice person.

And show your "installer" what a zip tie is
It's a job in progress. My installer guy has a whole bag of those thin black zip-ties. and has used a few already, but no sense in using a lot of them until we finalize the positions of everything, which we just did recently. Here' a not very good pic of the two amps and DSP in their final approximate positions:

14542309_1157341900992955_9064876361607115868_o.jpg

John Kuthe...

I imagine you coming on to the forums learning something then bothering the poor soul that's doing the install for you over and over again with questions lol. did you sit there with the amps powered on with no speakers attached to see how hot they get? I'm sure you called him after feeling how hot they were .

that poor guy.

do your installer a favor and start keeping track of the amount of time every interaction outside of his paid install work with you is taking up and when this whole ordeal is done pay him for that time.

I imagine you coming on to the forums learning something then bothering the poor soul that's doing the install for you over and over again with questions lol. did you sit there with the amps powered on with no speakers attached to see how hot they get? I'm sure you called him after feeling how hot they were .
that poor guy.

do your installer a favor and start keeping track of the amount of time every interaction outside of his paid install work with you is taking up and when this whole ordeal is done pay him for that time.
My installer guy has a lot more experience with auto audio system installs than I do, so we are kind of learning together. And I am paying him well, not only with cash but also with valuable "scraps" from this install. We have a working business relationship. He let's me know when I an owing him more $$ due to some upgrade we have to do and I generally pay him a littler more than he requests. "Tips" I call it. Gave him the Kenwood amp I had bought since I switched over to the Alpine PDR-V75 amp I had intended to use the Kenwood 2 channel amp for. And I don't perceive ANY greediness from him, so that's good.

John Kuthe...

valuable scraps lol. I'm sure he is spending a lot more time pampering you than he does with normal installs. I would say don't be "that guy" but from your posts I think its inevitable. If your going for a stealth install in those bins, don't be disappointed when the sub has very low output sitting in a well in the middle of the vehicle like that. I'm betting it will get no cabin gain and possibly cancellation issues resulting in a dead spot in the drivers seat due to its positioning.

valuable scraps lol. I'm sure he is spending a lot more time pampering you than he does with normal installs. I would say don't be "that guy" but from your posts I think its inevitable. If your going for a stealth install in those bins, don't be disappointed when the sub has very low output sitting in a well in the middle of the vehicle like that. I'm betting it will get no cabin gain and possibly cancellation issues resulting in a dead spot in the drivers seat due to its positioning.
Bettter than NO sub! :)

You about as nice as that LosIsATool fellow. Damaged karma like him? So sad for you. :-(

John Kuthe...

learning together lol. If this guy is a professional installer, your wasting his time and ensuring once he is finished your project he will never answer your calls again. "final positioning" for those amps, I'm sure he would've just already screwed them in but you want to nit-pick every detail. no damaged karma I'm not trolling. some people cant handle the real truth. I can tell by your defense that you already realize what I'm saying is true and your torturing the poor install guy. this is a simple install, your not really fabricating anything custom, its a hu, amps, proc and sub. but I'm sure he's spending a lot more time dealing with you than necessary.

if you really want to learn man up and do the install yourself, paying for the install would also pay for the tools necessary to do it yourself. that's how you really learn.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
JohnKuthe
Missouri
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from