Need help with enclosure

XxAndreaxX

spain
Hi all I’m in spain, I bought a custom fit sealed subwoofer for my smart roadster. Its the isotec smart roadster subwoofer.

If you search in google, you can see, that’s a really tiny car and every cm and kg is gold.

Its driven by an 8” peerless 110W RMS 4ohm subwoofer. I bought an 2x 70W RMS amp, bridged to 140 output.

My first need from the sub, is a very deep bass, and that sub, fails totally. The LPF is set to 50hz, at 30-40% volume, its sounds quiet good, but then, distorsion kicks in quiet soon. The sound gets very punchy and dry as soon as distorsion kicks in.

I can set the LPF to 128hz, and the output gets more powerful, but I dont really like the sound, very dry punchy and cheap, doesn’t even sound like a subwoofer, sounds more like my grandpa’s 80’ 2 way loudspeakers.

So I bought Sundown’s X8 sub 4ohm version a few days ago. Did not come yet, and I fear it won’t fit in the enclosure but that’s not the point.

I wonder if I will get a better output. I searched for the X8, because I’m fed up of low excursion, and simply searched for one of the best excursions out there for that price.

Now the tricky part. I can’t change enclosure, its a 10l minus the space taken from the driver. I don’t think its portable, no space, and the whole box is uneven, because it has to fit into the car.

X8 is not sealed friendly, does it mean I’ll have a bad output?

My idea was, to fit that thing, drive it with my 140 watt amp set at 50hz and hope for no distorsion.

I mean, the actual sub, is loud enough, the problem is the quality it total **** because of distorsion.

I know its retarded to drive 750Watt sub with 140Watts amp but atm I don’t need more. Maybe I’ll upgrade in the future, but the whole car is limited, battery is 12V-40A

Another question is, will the amp explode while driving that sub at 75% of power?

I was looking for diverse subs, including some Kicker, SA8, sealed friendly subs etc... but the X8 has such a great excursion, I have very much space for upgrade in the future.

Thanks!

PS: If the amp is set to 50hz, why does it still sounds punchy?? I'm a newby in this, LPF what does it really mean?? Does it means, it peaks at a certain frequency, like if its set to 100hz does it mean it peaks at 100hz, or does it mean it cuts everything from 100hz on???

You will not damage your amp from driving a higher wattage woofer. Try not to clip the output of the amp

You will need to run each coil to one channel on the amp though, not bridged

That is a very tiny sealed enclosure and I'm not sure the sub will like that tiny and sealed

If there is any chance to build a box around .75cf ported and tune it around 32hz that would be worlds better but see how it does in the one you have. If it fits.

If you are not happy with the sound of this driver build a new box and you will be.

If you build a new box and are still now happy I will give you my shipping address and I can dispose of it properly //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

thanks bro!! very helpful answer. What do you mean with clip the output?

Anyways that car is very tiny, its amazing, when I open the passenger window 5cm or so, its like porting the sub, the bass gets stronger, the car itself acts as an enclosure.

I will put it into that box, if it doesn't fit, I'll have to glue some rings between the woofer and the box.

Don't have any chance to build a bigger box ATM, and btw the one that I bought was very expensive. maybe in my next car.

hi Bros, I got the X8 D4 last week, and I figured out, the sub is 3-4 CM deeper than the enclosure.

My idea was to nail a 3-4cm wood plate on top of the box, and screw the sub on it, I think its the only solution.

1.Which type of wood do I need??

2.which type of glue do I need (wood on glassfibre)

3.which material would I use to fill the sealed enclosure? the original one came with a sort of wool-like filling. its still ok?

4.do I have to glue the whole surface? or only seal the borders???

Anyways, I know the sub is exagerated, but I connected it to the amp, and its so beautiful to see that thing moving without any distorsion. there is sooo much space for movement left bro, its amazing. I can go down with frequency as much as I want, that thing never ends excursion.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Bros, I got the X8 D4 last week, and I figured out, the sub is 3-4 CM deeper than the enclosure.My idea was to nail a 3-4cm wood plate on top of the box, and screw the sub on it, I think its the only solution.

1.Which type of wood do I need??

2.which type of glue do I need (wood on glassfibre)

3.which material would I use to fill the sealed enclosure? the original one came with a sort of wool-like filling. its still ok?

4.do I have to glue the whole surface? or only seal the borders???

Anyways, I know the sub is exagerated, but I connected it to the amp, and its so beautiful to see that thing moving without any distorsion. there is sooo much space for movement left bro, its amazing. I can go down with frequency as much as I want, that thing never ends excursion.

Google search for MDF Speaker Rings. You'll find an online place that will mail you a couple rings. No real need to nail them. Just some good quality wood glue and put some weight on it til it dries. The screws to mount the sub woofer can be long enough to go all the way through the layers if it makes you feel better. You can build up the mouting rings to probably as much as 5 or 6 cm if you need the extra depth and the slight increase in air space. Polyester fiber is typically used in sealed enclosures. Similar to what comes in a cheap pillow but you can find this stuff at craft stores and yes you can use what came in the box.

Any chance you can invert the subwoofer?

Google search for MDF Speaker Rings. You'll find an online place that will mail you a couple rings. No real need to nail them. Just some good quality wood glue and put some weight on it til it dries. The screws to mount the sub woofer can be long enough to go all the way through the layers if it makes you feel better. You can build up the mouting rings to probably as much as 5 or 6 cm if you need the extra depth and the slight increase in air space. Polyester fiber is typically used in sealed enclosures. Similar to what comes in a cheap pillow but you can find this stuff at craft stores and yes you can use what came in the box.
Any chance you can invert the subwoofer?
I've been thinking about a ring but the sub alone weights 14kg, + the vibrations, that's why I thaught about a whole plate, to absorb part of the weight. I'll search for MDF rings, but ah, won't 4CM of MDF ring worsen sound quality???

thanks bro

Nah you can build up MDF rings pretty tall. Wont have an impact on SQ. Just make sure they're glued down good to the sub cutout. Can you post a pic of your box?

Here are some built up MDF rings.

9256075_orig.jpg

Nah you can build up MDF rings pretty tall. Wont have an impact on SQ. Just make sure they're glued down good to the sub cutout. Can you post a pic of your box?

Here are some built up MDF rings.

9256075_orig.jpg
ok bro, will do it like that, on monday I'll bring the box to glue some 4cm rings, the guy told me he'll need 3 layers at least.

later I'll post some pics, you will tell me I'm crazy to put a Sundown X8 in a small sealed box

Going with an 8 tells me you're pressed for space already. Gotta work with what you have. Nothing wrong with a sealed 8 for adding that extra bit of bump your missing from the basic stereo.

Going with an 8 tells me you're pressed for space already. Gotta work with what you have. Nothing wrong with a sealed 8 for adding that extra bit of bump your missing from the basic stereo.
yeah, if you want to see my car, type smart roadster coupe. the subwoofer is the smart roadster isotec subwoofer.

space is heavily reduced. and not only space, but every gr counts too. 14kg subwoofer might quit some precious HP.

finally, I went with a whole plate, because rings would be similar as big. he will use 3 plates, 2x 1,5cm and 1x1cm plates.

I don't really like the Idea to glue 3 plates, but the guy swears me it will be very strong.

hi all, so I got the enclosure today. Now finally the X8 fits buuuuut.... it sounds awful, there's lots of distorsion and virtually no bass. Little more bass than in air but less than previous speaker. I found out, the guy didn't seal the plate so air is coming out from borders. that could be the reason. tomorrow I'll seal it with silicone.

can you give me an advice which silicone to use??? I hope that will fix the issue. I know the X8 is made for ported enclosure but it should work in a sealed enclosure , at least as good as the previous sub.

hi all, just sealed the enclosure completely with silicone-glue. Now, there's no air coming out, and the sound is finally very round. Its amazing how it sounds, it goes that Deep woah. just compared it with a 400W RMS 10" ported sub, no freakin comparision. seems like the frequency is inverted. how can I explain, the ported sub seems to play more 128hz and the X8 seems to play only 32hz. the difference is amazing. seems like never ending excursión. even compared to my friends ported 15" sub, no way for him to get that low. I'm very happy, thumbs up for the sundown X8 even in a sealed box with 140Watts Amp. But a Little issue I encountered:

Now that the air-escape distorsion is gone, the sub is still making noise, like moving parts, sounds like rattle, especially when reproducing very low freq and excursión gets heavier. is that normal?? its a Little bit annoying, the sound is not clean, but at 140Watt, it can't be distorsion obviously. its connected parallel, so to say at 2ohms.

It looks, it comes directly from the cone itself...

thanks!!

so back again here, enclosure sealed, but that frrrr frrrr that makes the speaker when excursion gets high, its annoying. is that normal with a sundown X8??? I can still feel some air coming out from the borders where the speaker is screwed. its very little, and when I push, the annoying sound doesn't get better. I might try to glue it too, with some light vinilik glue like vinavil. but its probably the membrane itself right???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.