Sundown SA 12's Sound Weak

Participant count
  • Participant list

AndrewHD
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys I installed 2 Sundown SA 12's in my Impala a while ago and it is not as impressive as it should be. Box is custom made by Buck 4.0 cu ft net at 31hz powered by a Rockford 2500.1 at 4 ohms. I think it may be due to a low pre amp voltage on my Eclipse AVN 726e (5V preamp). Does anyone know how to test pre amps and where would I put the black and red probes from the multimeter? A picture or video would help so much. I have heard that this unit needs to have the volume up to the max and sub setting maxed out to get 5 volts so I am skeptical at this point

I had a pair of sa12s in my impala on 2k and it was pretty nice ..did 145.4 on tl..gota be something simole if you didnt notice a difference at 1 ohm
I think its the headunit's sub out pre amp. The front and rears pre outs are far more powerful than the sub out. Not sure why Eclipse would do that. I have had around 3 different setups now with the same headunit and they all did not impress. Probably only hits 120db at the moment

From the looks of everything i highly doubt there is an issue with the preamp as even 2v preamp should be good, but this H/U does atleast 2v to the sub if not more.

That fosgate amp should easily be doing 3k watts at 1 ohm.

Have you attempted to raise the subwoofer output to +6 on the H/U?

Also do you have any voltage drop??

You seem to either be having bad gains or you have gains set incorrectly on the H/U.

From the looks of everything i highly doubt there is an issue with the preamp as even 2v preamp should be good, but this H/U does atleast 2v to the sub if not more.
That fosgate amp should easily be doing 3k watts at 1 ohm.

Have you attempted to raise the subwoofer output to +6 on the H/U?

Also do you have any voltage drop??

You seem to either be having bad gains or you have gains set incorrectly on the H/U.
I tuned the system with a DD-1 with all settings at 0 (flat settings). I have even tried +6 on the HU but still does not get as loud as it should. Crossover is set at 50hz on the sub amp

No it was a pioneer and used a audio control line driver. I always thought eclipse had pretty good headunits.
Hmm maybe I'll try track 5 or even 7 on the DD-1 again although I have tried them all before. I am still somewhat of a noob and don't really know much about setting gains so I just use the DD-1

I tuned the system with a DD-1 with all settings at 0 (flat settings). I have even tried +6 on the HU but still does not get as loud as it should. Crossover is set at 50hz on the sub amp
turn off low pass filter when your setting up your amp gains and set it to 80 once your done. Sometimes the DD-1 is very restrictive of how loud you can get. A moderate to heavy clip will burn coils but a soft clip is perfectly fine for daily listening too.

Keep sub level at +6. Use the Digital Multi-Meter method to see how much power your getting out of the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.