Port back vs up: The horse is still alive.

gckless
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Antonio
Doing two 15's (built by Zeuslicious, http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subw...g-beefy-coil-tc-spaced-spiders-dd-cf-cap.html) in a Blazer. Comparing sub up/port back to sub up/port up. Couple questions. Slot would be about a 4"x35.5" port, for a tuning of 30Hz. Not sure on port WxH relationship, my numbers may very well be off.

For port back, how far from the rear hatch would the box need to be? I have heard double the port height. Space is somewhat limited, so I need as much as I can get. How does space needed between the box and the hatch compare in a slot vs. aeros?

For port up, the box would be butted up against the rear hatch, like this:

DSC03814_zpsbf2c719f.jpg

How would this sound vs. port back? I'm looking for it to sound good, meaning minimizing rattles, no cancellation issues, digging deep, etc. Not too worried about it being loud, I'm not chasing numbers and it should get loud enough either way. I want it to sound as good as possible.

@Buck @double 07 @pro\-rabbit @TaylorFade

Last edited by a moderator:
It will sound just fine, you just have to tune differently is all. That setup pictured would be louder with port back in 99% of most cases though(to the ear and meter).

It will sound just fine, you just have to tune differently is all. That setup pictured would be louder with port back in 99% of most cases though(to the ear and meter).
This, all day, every day.

Port back and you will have a great little wind machine.

I totally agree with the other guys....port back seems to play quite loud and if tuned correctly will slam the lows like nobodys business......If will not sound bad either way but if it was mine I would do port back....

You just said agreed, then disagreed w/ both of us //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif
My bad. Sometimes I think one thing and type another! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/typing.gif.fd7c44a94b6ea7a328969e3ae0e010f7.gif

Hmmm, alright. Will make fitting the size box in there I want a little difficult, and I'll have to deaden the crap out of the hatch, but thanks for the input. Looks like port back is the way to go.

Hmmm, alright. Will make fitting the size box in there I want a little difficult, and I'll have to deaden the crap out of the hatch, but thanks for the input. Looks like port back is the way to go.
Get you some sheet metal and weld it to the hatch. Problem solved.

Otherwise, 2-3 layers of deadner.

I've had better luck getting loud in my Jeep porting to the side (into a corner is optimum on the meter). My best sounding box to date ported up (but on a side). Many people seem to have good luck firing to the rear though.

The only way to know for sure is to buy a meter, build both boxes, and experiment with position and aiming. Way too many variables to guess if someone doesn't have the exact same gear in the exact same ride and has already tested all options.

I've had better luck getting loud in my Jeep porting to the side (into a corner is optimum on the meter). My best sounding box to date ported up (but on a side). Many people seem to have good luck firing to the rear though.
The only way to know for sure is to buy a meter, build both boxes, and experiment with position and aiming. Way too many variables to guess if someone doesn't have the exact same gear in the exact same ride and has already tested all options.
PR has the exact same vehicle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Don't know how much testing he's done though.

What Jeep do you have?

what about in a s10 extended cab..is that the 1% rabbit..lol
Well we are talking about blazers here lol...

If you fire your port back in a S10...well you have other issues //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

Only experience I have with this is my durango. Had slot port up like pictured doing 149's. Ended up switching to three 6" aeros facing back, about 4"-6" from the hatch and did 152.8 sealed. Only thing thatchanged was the port, that was an 18" BTL on a DD Z1. Could have done better too as that was just dropped in, no testing at all and it was actually oozing glue cuz I literally built the box on the back on the way to the competition.

Only experience I have with this is my durango. Had slot port up like pictured doing 149's. Ended up switching to three 6" aeros facing back, about 4"-6" from the hatch and did 152.8 sealed. Only thing thatchanged was the port, that was an 18" BTL on a DD Z1. Could have done better too as that was just dropped in, no testing at all and it was actually oozing glue cuz I literally built the box on the back on the way to the competition.
Wow, good to know. How did each way sound on music though, or were you only doing burps? It's my DD, so I want it to sound as good as possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.