Joseph's SQ Build Log

Joseph7195
10+ year member

Walkin Tall
This is my SQ build attempt. I haven't really explored the mass amounts of information involved in SQ till recently. I have always been a SPL type guy, so I am really new to this. This build is gonna include Cadence Acoustics equipment coupled with a Mobile Enclosures sub enclosure design and lots and lots of hard work from me. I plan on competing when I have finished everything.

This is a build by me, which isn't terribly easy for me. I love Car Audio. It's a passion that no amount of disability has yet been able to extinguish. I am not rich, I only have basic tools, no specialty tools, and the will to accomplish something that can make my family proud.

On to the Pics!!

This is the sub enclosure design and response characteristics.

ScreenShot2012-03-12Cadence12.png

LABELScadence12.png

LAYOUT-1cadence12.png

cadence12s2w12d2jmbrresponse.png

I picked the location in my truck because it helps me get the sub as far forward as possible, and it doesn't take up room from my family because it was already unused space.

This is how most of us have to build enclosures vv

build2002.jpg

Just the back of my truck, a circular saw and jig saw (which I didn't have last build) and a palm sander.

The cuts will be rough, there will be mistakes, but those can be fixed. This build log will include the enclosure, amp mountings, and any other ideas i come up with to enhance SQ in the truck. I will add some tweeter spheres to the dash or A pillar's as soon as I can decide on a final speaker to run.

If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know, I want everyone to be included in this build.

I know! Almost to 90hz before the drop off. It's really gonna help to hide the location of the mids in the doors and help the sub blend in with them. I have been having a really hard time with midbass staging, so i am hoping this is gonna help. It's so hard because the rules of the competing organizations prevent moving the midbass's from the door, so i have to try and get them to play higher (location and frequency wise). I think I am gonna have a lot of tuning, but fortunately I have more processing than any man on earth should have, lol

I know! Almost to 90hz before the drop off. It's really gonna help to hide the location of the mids in the doors and help the sub blend in with them. I have been having a really hard time with midbass staging, so i am hoping this is gonna help. It's so hard because the rules of the competing organizations prevent moving the midbass's from the door, so i have to try and get them to play higher (location and frequency wise). I think I am gonna have a lot of tuning, but fortunately I have more processing than any man on earth should have, lol
Lol that curve itself is making me want to do an sq build in my gf's car haha

I like builds with limited tools. It shows who the real men are, the ones with the real skills and motivation.
In for results //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
I am really excited, I am still on the fence about the enclosure covering. Not sure if I am gonna do a painted design type thing, carpet or vinyl. Carpet and vinyl I would have to take to someone and pay them to do it, which is why I think I am gonna do a gloss black paint and orange (Cadence colors) paint on it. Not sure of the design yet though. Maybe just all black with some strategically place orange lines here and there.

I think I am gonna do a gloss black paint and orange (Cadence colors) paint on it. Not sure of the design yet though. Maybe just all black with some strategically place orange lines here and there.
Just a thot, here, but do you know anyone who is decent at drawing? Maybe someone could free-hand you a Cadence logo, or something similar.

Either that or find someone who can 'upsize' it on a computer and/or plotting printer so you could transfer it to the enclosure yourself before painting it in....

I figure you'd prefer not to go through a clean SQ build---- with plans on maybe competing---- and just have it be black with org lines.

Just a thot, here, but do you know anyone who is decent at drawing? Maybe someone could free-hand you a Cadence logo, or something similar.Either that or find someone who can 'upsize' it on a computer and/or plotting printer so you could transfer it to the enclosure yourself before painting it in....

I figure you'd prefer not to go through a clean SQ build---- with plans on maybe competing---- and just have it be black with org lines.
Good point, I really don't think I can free hand anything worthwhile. And you're right, it is gonna have to be clean. I may just attempt some type of design and if all goes terribly wrong, I will just have it carpeted, lol. I may try to get some people to do some free designs for me

Okay fella's, here are the box shots. I really tried my best, and it turned out so much better than I had thought (at least I think). I have always used 1" MDF for all my SPL builds. I had a vendor that could get it for $65 a sheet and I just never bought anything else. Well I used the 3/4" Birch this time and I didn't realize how much lighter it is and it's rigidity is awesome! The box has to be 30-40% lighter than MDF, anyways, here are the pics!

cadence12enclosure001.jpg

The 45's for the corner's were tricky as heck with a circular saw, but they turned out okay

cadence12enclosure002.jpg

cadence12enclosure003.jpg

cadence12enclosure004.jpg

All panels were test fitted and sanded down to make sure everything was a tight fit (kinda, lol)

cadence12enclosure005.jpg

cadence12enclosure006.jpg

cadence12enclosure007.jpg

I always make a mess with the sealant/glue. No matter how much I try Ha ha

cadence12enclosure008.jpg

cadence12enclosure009.jpg

cadence12enclosure010.jpg

cadence12enclosure011.jpg

cadence12enclosure012.jpg

cadence12enclosure013.jpg

I decided to go ahead and paint the port black even though I haven't decided on a color scheme yet, but i thought I might as well do it while I have the chance!

cadence12enclosure014.jpg

cadence12enclosure015.jpg

I am going to use the excess wood to build the amp racks tomorrow, and try to get the rear area in my truck situated. I have to take the old lady to dinner and a movie, so I will be back later! Thanks for being tuned in!!

(My old lady held me up so I could make a couple of the cuts, so I owe her)

So you cant walk but you can do all this? Makes me feel really lazy... I had someone else build my box. Mainly because I dont have the tools, but still

Good job it looks clean

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.