Ground loop isolator kills bass?

Pyle
10+ year member

Well I have some really bad noise which I am assuming is from a ground loop. It is a sort of loud pop when turning the subs on, and also the subs keep playing when the volume is at zero(like a "hum" almost...) I put in a ground loop isolator today that I got from Radio Shack and it eliminated all of the noise but the bass is VERY low(my door speakers overpower the subs...) Even if I crank the gain all the way up, there is still barely any bass. Plugging the normal RCAs back in makes it go right to how it should be. The way I have it right now is, normal KNU RCAs to an RCA coupler, then into the GLI, then to the amp. Would the coupler affect it or is it something to do with the GLI?

Does the isolator come with a gain knob of sorts? What amp/subs are you running? How did you ground your amp? (i.e. is the connection very tight, and the grounding point sanded down to bare metal?

Ground is at the bottom of the seat belt bolt. I know, not the greatest. Yes it is sanded down. There is nothing on the GLI for gain or anything. One thought I had was, since I have a spare run of 4 gauge going from my battery to my trunk already(was going to be for highs amp but not using it...) Maybe I should just move that to my negative battery post and use it as a ground and eliminate the ground at the back completely. Would this be a good idea?

Thanks for all the help guys!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif Bump to the top, still trying to figure this out. I ran a ground directly from my battery negative to my amp and my subs went CRAZY. They were pulsing and just making a bunch of crazy noises even at no volume.

when i added a ground loop isolater by stinger i got the same problem. but it was the low frequencies that really suffered. it ****** so i took it out and put up with the little static there was. never quite found out what it was either.

GLIs are transformers, usually with a 1:1 turns ratio. They will pass an AC audio signal, but will break the so called 'ground loop'. Unfortunately the windings also act as a 6db octave high pass filter because of thier inductance, and cheap GLIs will indeed cut out your bass. If you want to use a GLI as a fix you need to find a good one with low inductance. PAC makes a decent one that can be had on ebay for under $20, and Navone engineering makes an 'audiophile quality' unit for around $45.

What type of hu ? Where r your gains set? Some pioneer head units have an issue with the ground for the outputs to the amp. Ive seen people fix it by grounding them to the hu. I would try finding different groud point for the amp. Definately sounds like a ground problem.

Robert above me is right.

Ground the RCA's themselves. The outside metal ring on the RCA is ground. Wrap a wire around each one and ground it to the chassis. I've seen it fix almost every kind of noise there is, from constant static to alternator whine.

The extra brown wires on Ground Loop Isolators and Line Output Convertors are grounds meant to be grounded to the chassis that do the same thing as above.

Can I ground the RCAs at the amp or does it have to be at the head unit? I have a Kenwood DDX512 head unit and I never had this problem with the same ground/HU/power when I had my AP1500 installed. It seems to only happen with this MTX amp. I will go try to ground the RCAs and see if it helps. Thanks for helping guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.