1 or 2 ohm amp for Alprine type R

Stripes
10+ year member

I've traded in my vehicle and got room for one 12" sub, roughly 1.5' of cubic feet for the volume. I think I will go with one Alpine Type R 12" sub, but I am not sure what ohmage would be best. I assume 2 ohm is the lowest they go, and to use a mono amp I'd need the two 4ohms wired down to 1 ohm, SO 2 Ohm is the lowest I can go (I think) and the subs are 300RMS per coil. What would you guys recommend for an amp?

Alpine Type R's do support a dual voice coil always, I think. I have seen some two ohm subs too, so that is what you're saying to go with and a mono amp?

Alpine Type R's do support a dual voice coil always, I think. I have seen some two ohm subs too, so that is what you're saying to go with and a mono amp?
If you get a sub with dual 2 ohm coils you want an amp that puts out the power you want at 1 ohm, if you get a sub with dual 4ohm coils you want an amp that makes the power you want @ 2 ohms. Either way is fine. And mono amp would be ideal yes.

The Type R can be used at 1 2 4 or 8 ohms, depending on the model, the 1243D has dual 4 Ohm coils, so it can be wired to 2 ohms or 8 ohms, and the 1223D has dual 2 Ohm coils, so it can be wired to 1 Ohm or 4 Ohms, it's pretty much about your preference of amplifier, if you want to upgrade your system in the future, the best bet is to find something that will give you your power at 4 ohms, because when wired lower it will give you more, if not, you can find something that will do 600W at 2 or 1 ohms.

Currently have a Rockford Fosgate 100RMS sub, and I believe a Kicker 150RMS Amp. I think my wires are fine and won't need a kit, except for possibly fuse issues. Budget, eh, I'd like to get the sub for around $130 (last I knew, I could get it for that shipped) and then maybe 100-$150 for the amp, preferably mono. (Won't be upgrading)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.