2 Ohm woofers, 1 ohm amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TheoCowTown

CarAudio.com Newbie
I just bought two subwoofers (can't be returned), not realizing that the wiring was different for dual voice coils. I have two 2 Ohm DualVC sub speakers rated at 1200 RMS and a 1 Ohm stable amp at 500 watts mono (2000 max). Which is my best option?:

(a) Run one speaker only, wired for 1 ohm and forget about the other sub? (b) wire both DVC subs to 2 ohm (c) wire both DVC subs down to 0.5 ohm
Thank you for your input and expertise!

I just bought two subwoofers (can't be returned), not realizing that the wiring was different for dual voice coils. I have two 2 Ohm DualVC sub speakers rated at 1200 RMS and a 1 Ohm stable amp at 500 watts mono (2000 max). Which is my best option?:

(a) Run one speaker only, wired for 1 ohm and forget about the other sub? (b) wire both DVC subs to 2 ohm (c) wire both DVC subs down to 0.5 ohm
Thank you for your input and expertise!
I would run one sub atm @1ohm or the pair @2ohms until you get some power. should be some great 4th July Sales going on for a Nice 3k taramps 2 ohm amp or a nice 3-3500 rms 1ohm stable amplifier and wire the pair of subs to 2 ohms

I would run one sub atm @1ohm or the pair @2ohms until you get some power. should be some great 4th July Sales going on for a Nice 3k taramps 2 ohm amp or a nice 3-3500 rms 1ohm stable amplifier and wire the pair of subs to 2 ohms
Thanks, AudioBaun. The speakers are much more expensive than the amp, so i was thinking I'd rather build the box for both and then upgrade the amp down the road. If I damage something in 2 woofer @ 2 ohm setup, am I more likely to fry the amp or fry the speakers?

Thanks, AudioBaun. The speakers are much more expensive than the amp, so i was thinking I'd rather build the box for both and then upgrade the amp down the road. If I damage something in 2 woofer @ 2 ohm setup, am I more likely to fry the amp or fry the speakers?
It could be both if you go full tilt with the power you have now. #1 clipping on the subs, and #2 running that amp like a race horse and eventually gives due to overworked and heat. Play moderately and you should be ok for now. But take advantage of the 4th july Sales and look for a Taramps 3k @2ohms or like a decent 3k on up with a 2ohm stability of 2k or more should work well with decent 0ga-1/0ga OFC supply and ground wiring for the amplifier to serve. Not a bad kit that I have used. id recommend a Fused distro block for the amp you decide to use to add on to the kit. check out theyre amps as they should go on sale soon. I have 2-2ks CT Sounds and they are really great amps for the money. Taramps 3ks are a great choice as well. Down 4 sound has some nice amps a bit more $. So many to choose from these days. Id look for a mono amp in your budget and ask about it from those that use them and get some Real world responses before making a purchase. Check GP Audio for amp wiring kits and Big3 kits and Sky High audio also. Wiring can be purchased by the ft.

You never specified what amp you have now or subs, and you have not told us what type or size supply wiring you currently have, nor what vehicle ,battery size/type, or what size alternator you have either. That is important information needed to help with your questioning. 500 watts RMS will get the subs moving, but clearly not enough to get them to theyre potential by any means, and you could run into some difficulties from overheating and or clipping issues and damaging some coils if you are not careful resulting in damaging your subs and the amplifier as well.

Black Friday, and 4th of july are the holidays for deals on audio equipment. They should already be posted. I personally don't think I would even spend 30 minutes on hooking up that amp, and setting the gain. RIGHT NOW, that half hour would be better spent searching for an amp that will do what you need.

You want an amp that does about 2400w RMS @ 2ohms x 1ch. You can go as low as 2,000 (but I would search on youtube if you think you find one that is your best options, and see if its been dynoed. Good chance it will perform higher than rated). That or 2500 is a nice round number I would expect to find.

I would atleast add these two to your list to compare what esle you find: A taramps Smart 3, and CT sounds 3200.1d, it's rated 2,000w RMS @ 2ohm, but dynoed will get you up to 2400.

Those numbers don't sound right on your amp either. If that's 500w RMS @ 1 ohm, how is that 2,000w max? Something isn't adding up right, and if it's 500w RMS @ 1 ohm, it's probably about 300w at 2 ohm or even less. You probably wouldn't damage it if you connect one, but there is no reason, and I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT hook that up to two.

The subwoofers are Power Acoustik MOFOS-12D2 12".
The amp is an Orion Ztreet Class D Monoblock, ZT-2000.1DS, 1 Ohm Stable.
Vehicle is a Chevy trailblazer.
My vehicle doesn't currently have a sub, so I'll be installing the wiring fresh.
The more I read, the more inclined I am to wire up one subwoofer at 1 ohm. Just painful to have the other subwoofer sitting there in the box unutilized

The subwoofers are Power Acoustik MOFOS-12D2 12".
The amp is an Orion Ztreet Class D Monoblock, ZT-2000.1DS, 1 Ohm Stable.
Vehicle is a Chevy trailblazer.
My vehicle doesn't currently have a sub, so I'll be installing the wiring fresh.
The more I read, the more inclined I am to wire up one subwoofer at 1 ohm. Just painful to have the other subwoofer sitting there in the box unutilized
There is no shame what so ever running @2 Ohms Mono. I have a pair of tens that will slamm and tear a roof up on 2k running @2 ohms. The properly tuned enclosure and the right amount of power in the right environment, 2 ohms mono will slamm its azz off. Everyone wants to run @1ohm or lower. Ive been there. I actually enjoy 2 ohm myself on daily.

This amp right here will serve your needs just fine man. get a Glue and Screw Tuned enclosure from GP Audio (I recommend subs up port up /subs and port on same baffle,) and a good supply for the demand as I stated earlier and that should slamm its azz off in that Trailblazer. Be prepared to have your roof make some noises and your vehicle shake its azz off while doing work. I would recommend on keeping an eye on the roof for any panel damage. That amp you have.. Id sell it on Ebay and use the funds towards the new amp and or a fused distro block needed with the kit I recommended earlier. Put those subs to work

Those numbers don't sound right on your amp either. If that's 500w RMS @ 1 ohm, how is that 2,000w max? Something isn't adding up right, and if it's 500w RMS @ 1 ohm, it's probably about 300w at 2 ohm or even less. You probably wouldn't damage it if you connect one, but there is no reason, and I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT hook that up to two.
Because Max is a made up number.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...