$1K build 2005 Equinox. First time attempting anything audio related.

Jordan Cole
10+ year member

I'm trying to build a budget system for my Equinox, I have no knowledge of what I am doing, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm a little gun shy, and not willing to pull the trigger on my purchase. I've included everything I can think of without the wiring. I'll be purchasing that through crutchfield due to the discounts I would be getting.

Head Unit: Kenwood KDC-HD545U for $140

Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-1005 for $250

5-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

Sub: Polk Audio db1212 for $170

High Quality Slot Ported Subwoofer Enclosure Loaded with One 12" db Series Car Subwoofers Loaded at 2 Ohm Final Impedance

Front doors: Polk Audio db6501 for $150

6-1/2" 300W 2-Way db Series Component Car Speaker System

Rear doors: Polk Audio db651s for $76

6-1/2" 165W 2-Way db Series Slim Mount Coaxial Car Speakers

I'm just trying to figure out where money is being wasted, or not used enough, and if everything will work together with better than average results.

SSA Dcon + enclosure you would build = $200-$250 and would be my choice for sub stage at that budget and power level.

I would also consider other components.

Lastly, many people here will tell you to leave out the rears entirely and enhance the front stage only. If you did this, a 4-channel would work. Front channels for the front components, rear channels bridged to the woofer.

Just food for thought. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

PM me with questions, if you'd like.

I can see how the rears could end up being obsolete, and the money saved from that, and downsizing to a 4-channel would allow for more purchasing power for the sub/ amp. What I'm unsure of, being a first timer, is whats going to happen to the treble?

I can see how the rears could end up being obsolete, and the money saved from that, and downsizing to a 4-channel would allow for more purchasing power for the sub/ amp. What I'm unsure of, being a first timer, is whats going to happen to the treble?
It'll still be there. It's preferential whether to have rears or not.

for $1000 i can give you a much better set up than that?

3 10 inch mtx 4500, in an mtx enclosure

a brand new kenwood 1000

an alpine 4 channel

and a nice doubled din.

door speakers i dont have

If you went for cone area and enclosure efficiency, you'd be surprised by how much air you could potentially move. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If you went for cone area and enclosure efficiency' date=' you'd be surprised by how much air you could potentially move. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif[/quote']
These are the type of answers I'm after. Cone area, closure efficiency, all new terms to me. Brands to avoid, brands to look at, 4ch, 5ch, mono with a decent head unit. This went from an almost impulse buy to a totally intricate decision. Thanks to everyone.

If you went for cone area and enclosure efficiency' date=' you'd be surprised by how much air you could potentially move. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif[/quote']
Yeah? And? That is true, if that's the OP's goal. That has nothing to do with recommending a set of MTX anythings in an MTX box with a Kenwood amp. Just...no.

As far as your sub setup. I think you first need to decide whether you will build your own box or not. You can get designs from guys on here but you'll have to build it or have it built. A proper design and build is what's going to maximize efficiency. Unfortunately no box you can buy as best buy is going to compare. For some people, building or having built is not an option, or not in the budget, leaving them with no choice but to go with a prefab box. What I can say is this, if you go prefab, stay with a sealed enclosure. Once again, we need to know as some subs work better in sealed enclosures so we'd want to recommend those. To be honest, if a proper box isn't in the budget, I'd get the rest of your setup and wait until you have the funds so you can do it right. I, as well as just about everyone on here, can tell you what happens when you rush. You did a smart thing by holding off and coming here.

Now, if a proper box is a possibility, you need to go measure the dimensions you have available. You also need to decide how much of that space you're willing to lose. This will help us determine a sub that will work nicely in the airspace you're willing to give up.

Yeah? And? That is true, if that's the OP's goal. That has nothing to do with recommending a set of MTX anythings in an MTX box with a Kenwood amp. Just...no.
I did not recommend any such things. Different poster did. And I was informing the OP of something he did not seem to already have knowledge of. Exploring possibilities. Don't be so quick to jump, because you may fall //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

No hard feelings though, eh? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I did not recommend any such things. Different poster did. And I was informing the OP of something he did not seem to already have knowledge of. Exploring possibilities. Don't be so quick to jump' date=' because you may fall //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
No hard feelings though, eh? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif[/quote']

Fair enough. It just looked like you were in agreement since your post was right after his. I was about to say...are you serial?!

To be honest, the OP's initial system wouldn't have been that bad. It would have been a decent upgrade over factory, although I'd skip the rears, or do the rears and leave them powered by the HU and faded out unless there are rear passengers.

OP, what kind of music do you listen to (and how loud do you listen to it) and will you be installing?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.