$1000 Complete System Budget Help

Vassago

I am completely new to car audio. I have looked around and have some information about what I am looking for but I lack experience to know what would make for a good car audio system and was hoping for some help building a system. So here are the details.

The Car:

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse with stock stereo

Speaker sizes from crutchfield:

Front speakers

Dash: Tweeter factory speaker note

Front Door: 6x9"

Far rear speakers

Rear Seat Side Panels: 6-3/4"

What I am looking for:

* Stereo Head that can my Ipod can hook into to charge and play music

* New Front and Rear speakers

* A multi-channel amp for the front and rear speakers

* A Subwoofer for the trunk with an enclosure, preferably one that does not take up too much space

* A single channel amp for the subwoofer

Preferably I would like this system to be around the $1000 mark in the subject, for the parts. Because I will most likely have to take it somewhere to have it installed. So far I have had terrible luck trying to go to Car Toys and get a consult from them on what to do with my car so I figured I would come here and see if anyone could help me build a system.

Hmm...

Well, starting with the head unit, assuming you want something fairly basic but still highly functional as indicated by your budget... I used to run a Pioneer 4000UB, it has a USB connection in the back, so you can safely tuck your iPod in the glovebox or elsewhere out of view and still have full control plus automatic charging. Lots of EQ adjustments on the HU as well to get your music sounding just right. Bought mine new for about $140.

As for the speakers, there's a whole gamut of options what it comes down to mainly is budget and how much of a discerning SQ guy you are. If you want something basic that will sound great, shoot over to woofersetc.com and check out some of the popular mid-priced coax's or components. I've had very good experience with Pioneer speakers, but I recommend against Kenwood. Sticking to your budget.. shoot for something in the $50-$70 range. And this is taking into account four speakers.

As for powering them, the amp selection is pretty much endless, browse around on the for sale forums or online for a decently-priced 4 channel that matches the RMS wattage of your speakers. This can be had for under $100.

So we come to the sub... can't help you too much here until I know what kind of low end you want. Do you listen mostly to rock, where you would want the bass to blend smoothly into the rest of the music? Or do you want something that will pound your chest and rattle your bones? Either way, I love my Fi subs and they have some very decently priced woofers you can check them out at ficaraudio.com.

If you have tools or a friend with tools and basic shop experience, building the box is the best option (you can get someone over at Fisher Customs to design a box for your subs online for $20) but if not, shop around for a solidly built box at your local audio shop that meets the space dimensions required by your woofer.

Hope that will get you started... depending on all the factors, this could cost anywhere from $900-$1100 without installation.

I have a pair of JL evolution vr690cxi coaxial 6x9's. $85 shipped. sound great, great condition.

alpine 9887 is a great headunit, can be had for around $200-$220 with an ipod adapter.

DC sound labs makes some very popular subs. They have a dclvl1, lvl 2, lvl 3, lvl4, lvl4xl, and lvl 5.

Pick whichever lvl fits your budget/the amount of bass you would like.

As a guide line, anything over a lvl4, and your rear view mirror will need to be reinforced.

smaller subwoofers sound 'punchy/crisp/accurate' where as larger subwoofers sound 'deeper'.

Use that bit of info when deciding if you want an 8'', 10'', 12'', or 15'', or 18'' sub. If you want the ground to shake when you start playing music, get the biggest sub you can fit in your car.

You'll be fine with any well-made amplifier. The best way to go is to look around on craigslist and the classifieds here and find any of the following amps at a nice price.

sundown, AQ, eclipse, JL audio, alpine PDX's are solidly built, and would probably fit your needs, arc audio, there are more I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Match the amplifier to your speakers RMS power. Try not to get something that has A Lot more power, because it will cost more, and be less efficient.

You will be much better off having someone build you a sub enclosure. There are plenty of people on these forums that can build/design enclosures. Where are you located?

A lot of shops will try to sell you a piece of crap box for a jacked up price. Having one built specifically for your subwoofer is worth every penny.

Typically, a stock electrical system (with the big 3 done) can handle between 1000w-1500w of power, keep that in mind when deciding what your after.

and he needs a 9887 because?

because its pimp

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.