Lexus GX470 Upgrade/Build Advice - Complete System Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cscott17

CarAudio.com Newbie
Newbie here! I'm looking for some educated advice/opinions on specific system options for my 2006 Lexus GX 470 build.

Here are a couple of caveats & restrictions and narrowed product options for the build

I am a Best Buy Total Tech member so I get free installation on any products that Best Buy sells and discounts on installation w/ products purchased elsewhere. This part is non-negotiable since it saves me so much money. I probably wouldn't be upgrading anything other than the blown speaker and headunit otherwise. The only products I'm buying outside of BestBuy are the head unit and possibly subwoofer option.

So with the product availability limited to just what BestBuy offers here is where I'm at and the advice I'm looking for.

*Please keep in mind that this vehicle is a temporary vehicle I'm modernizing until New Car prices come back to reality. This is a budget build that I'm trying to get it up to par with "newer high-end factory" OEM equipment.

*Factory setup = Non-navi pioneer brand OEM. The vehicle has 3 ways in the front doors, 6.5s in the rear doors, and 6.5in sub in the rear.

*Notes about preferences - It's normally just me; sometimes my wife but rarely any rear-seat passengers in the vehicle so a good volume and quality front stage sound is what I'm looking for. I want a very responsive, sensitive, mid-base from the front lowers and really prefer to utilize all 3 front factory door speaker locations.
Music sources - FM radio and Spotify. Sometimes Youtube​
Music genres - mostly current stuff. Country, Pop, Hip-hop... you know classic generic whiteboy **** haha​
*I DO NOT want to have a subwoofer that consumes any cargo or passenger floor space. I also do not need any crazy low base that rattles the car. Again, just looking for something comparable to higher-end OEM systems and balanced lows-highs. SO I'm thinking of sub output no more than 200ish watts?

Purchased:
Head unit -
Sony XAV-AX8100
Wired Backup Camera

Amp - $300 max spend
-Pioneer GM-DX874 or GM-D704 (I can't find any difference between the two even going to the Pioneer website they're spec'd identical)https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pionee...power-amplifier-black/6321734.p?skuId=6321734

-The reason for this amp is it seems like a value for what I'm looking for and that BestBuy offers. A
- It's a bridgable 4/3/2 amp and I'm undecided on whether I want to go 3ch bridged- running decent (100w) power to the front components and powering a sub or running it 4ch for the door speakers if I go with a pre-powered sub​
--^^^this also offers the flexibility to add-subtract or modify conf later down the road if I don't like the sound​
--if 3ch bridged offers the sub output within the range I'm looking for​
********Here's where I need help and please if you're offering constructive advice; I'm only looking for solutions that I can utilize BestBuy's products and installations so below are the options

--- Most opinions are that I should really try to stick to a 6x9 component setup if the vehicle allows it for the best midbass. Not sure if I'll really know the difference between 6x9s and 6.5s with the type of power and listening sources & style I do so please let me know!
Component Options:
picture of an interior door to show speaker locations

Budget under $200
Also, would like to find a 6.5in coaxial for the rears that complement the fronts whether they're matching or not

-Massive Audio - FC Series 6.5-Inch 3-Way Component Kit Speakers
I've never heard of Massive Audio but on paper, these look good. Also, the compromise here is they're 6.5in components vs 6x9s.​
Can someone confirm the mounting depth available for the midrange in the stock location? Trying to figure out if the midrange speaker will fit for mounting depth at 1.54in​
- My thoughts here but I'm no expert. It's a sub $200 3-way component option that Best Buy offers.​
--Spec wise these seem like they'll perform for what/how I'm looking for.​
---93db sensitive​
--Can get matching 6.5in coaxials for the rear​

-Memphis Car Audio - Power Reference 6" x 9" 2-Way Car Speakers​
--^^^6x9 components but only 2-ways​
--some reviews say they offer good mid-base response and do well with the head unit and/or amp power; efficient speakers​
--can get a matching rear 6.5in coaxial for the rear for under $120​
-Alpine - S-Series 6" x 9" 2-Way Car Speakers
--similar reviews as the Memphis option​
--can get matching rear coaxials within budget​

-If I piece together the rear speaker separately I'm thinking about these options based on sound characteristics, price, etc
--KICKER - KS Series 6-1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers
--KICKER - CS Series 6-1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers
--MB Quart - Premium 6-1/2" 2-Way Car Speakers MB Quart PK1-116

Subwoofer Options:
I really don't want any option visible or consuming cargo area. Also, I don't need anywhere near competition like base. Just something to round out the mids and highs.

There are restraints that I've read about trying to use an aftermarket sub in the factory location like very limited depth and air volume. The issue now that 6.5 & 6 3/4in subs are more common is the airspace requirements that the factory box doesn't offer.

-KICKER - Hideaway 8" Subwoofer with Enclosure and Integrated 150W Amplifier
-JBL Fuse
***These are interesting because of the installation location options. Under the front seats or maybe mount them on the swing tailgate.​
-Looks like they can handle decent power​
-Conceptionally, two 8s with 2 passive woofers might put out decent bass?​
-Kicker 6-3/4 in factory location​
Can someone confirm if this would fit in my specific factory sub-location and would it have enough airspace to work well?​
-Skar

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 41
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 43
LOL, you have already failed by having Bestbuy install anything :LOL: goodluck!
Well, I did consult with several stores and they all pointed me to one specific location and tech. Apparently, he's been an installer for 15+yrs and I figured if he can get the bulk of manual labor stuff done for free and I'm not happy with the tuning I can take it to an audio shop to refine it.

Either save the $1k on install labor with BestBuy not move forward because it's not worth the investment for the age of the vehicle and my length of ownership.

Don't bother with the rears and consider something like this for the fronts:

IIRC those Pioneer amps have been considered "budget gems" for a while, not sure what the price is or if your employee discount helps but they should make around rated power and be of reasonably good quality. You could probably get away with a 4 channel amp powering the 3 way fronts and CH1 and CH2 and ch3+4 bridged to a sub. If you're adding an amp and have a good head unit I'd avoid one of those all-in-one amp+sub combo kits and buy a separate sub sized appropriately to whichever amp you pick.

I've also had really good results with Sony head units so you're at least off to a good start there I think. I certainly wouldn't go to Best Buy if I wanted to win competitions or do something custom but to do a simple head unit + amp/subs/replace door speakers there's good odds the installer there has done more of those than some meme custom shop AND Best Buy has deep enough pockets to make you whole if some rookie ***** your car up.

Simple installs shouldn’t be a problem for Best Buy but anything can be screwed up lol. My buddy went there years ago and it was all good. They actually installed my deck back in high school and did a good job (ripped it out later for a different build). This was also back when they pushed a/m audio pretty hard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...