Capacitor Hatred?

if you have a solid electrical they dont hurt. The problem is people who already have weak electrical and lights dimming add one thinking its gonna magically cure it. In most cases this will make the system even worse. The cap draws more power and after its emptied it creates more strain on the electrical.

Capacitors are good for filtering out dips and peaks in voltage, which is great if you have an amp with an unregulated power supply. However, you have to look hard to find an amp with a non-regulated power supply nowadays.

For fixing dimming lights, etc, they don't work that well (or at all in some cases).

if you have a solid electrical they dont hurt. The problem is people who already have weak electrical and lights dimming add one thinking its gonna magically cure it. In most cases this will make the system even worse. The cap draws more power and after its emptied it creates more strain on the electrical.
well said people who have the electrical system that caps wont hurt on dont even bother to use them because they dont really give much of a gain if any at all and 99% of the people who ask about caps think its going to be a magical cure for a shitty electrical system which like said will hurt it even more

I have a solid electrical it never drops below 13.8 at full tilt at idle. When driving I am a solid 14. So maybe I will get a cap.
They don't hurt anything but they don't help either. Like it's been said, their main advantage is acting as a filter, however amplifiers have their own filters so that's not necessary. As far as any benefit resulting from having "extra" power on tap, well the benefit is so minimal, it's not even noticeable. There was a large experiment done awhile ago, where someone actually went through all the math and proved that these caps are basically useless. But if you'd like to go ahead and waste your money, who's to stop you?

I have a solid electrical it never drops below 13.8 at full tilt at idle. When driving I am a solid 14. So maybe I will get a cap.
They don't hurt anything but they don't help either. Like it's been said, their main advantage is acting as a filter, however amplifiers have their own filters so that's not necessary. As far as any benefit resulting from having "extra" power on tap, well the benefit is so minimal, it's not even noticeable. There was a large experiment done awhile ago, where someone actually went through all the math and proved that these caps are basically useless. But if you'd like to go ahead and waste your money, who's to stop you?

3854550004_a0e6bfa316_m.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.