2001 Mustang 12" Fi Q. False Trunk plexi and LEDS (Old Build)

kylediablo
10+ year member

17 & certified
A guy i met a car show last year kept in contact with me and got ahold of me about putting a system in his sons car who would soon turn 16 and he wanted it to be his birthday present. he presented me with his budget and wanted sub amp speakers deck the whole deal. he did not want to take up the whole trunk.. and i knew from experience that mustangs have **** for a trunk opening. since the kid goes to a school that has alot of my competitors business and not alot of mine, i didnt want to jsut throw a plain box in the trunk, and also he would be shoing it with his dads cars. so i got to work.

PS. didnt take alot of build pics sorry!

promandmustang001.jpg

i first built the box. if i remeber correctly it was around 2 cubic ft. tuned at 35hz. 45d corners as always. i primed and sealed it becasue i would later be painting it wil gloss paint.

promandmustang002.jpg

the way the box would be constructed i made it to where the woofer would mount from inside the box, this would make it a lesser chance of any sccrews breaking and civing more clearance under the box. the top would then be sealed with foam strip and screwed on . then i would have to attach the feet of the box which are 2x4's doubled up.

promandmustang027.jpg

i used my router and some jigs to create the front trim panal and smoothed all of the edgges with a roundover. ( only 1 port opening will be functional. the other is for cosmetic purposes.)

promandmustang030.jpg

promandmustang028.jpg

promandmustang026.jpg

promandmustang032.jpg

Fi Q 12" d2

promandmustang049.jpg

DB Drive 1600.1 and KNU wiring.

promandmustang031.jpg

i covered the front trim panal in grey trunkliner that matched the stock trunk and grille cloth on the back of the port openings. since the box is downfiring i did not have to make bass tranfer aperatures in the trim panal.

i i used 1/2 plexi on the front of the box and screwed and sealed it. no flex at all. then topped it off with LEDS that are wired into the lid switch.

here it is done. it sounds amazing from the cabin. i ran into some issues with the grille cloth making some noise on the lower frequencies but they are not audible from inside the car at all. i was very happy wiith the sound of it, im sure it coul dbe a lil louder if i just built a big ass box in the trunk, but that wasnt the plan here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif happy birthday lol

promandmustang033.jpg

promandmustang041.jpg

promandmustang042.jpg

promandmustang038.jpg

promandmustang040.jpg

promandmustang048.jpg

promandmustang051.jpg

promandmustang054.jpg

you work for a shop or you own it?

Where r u located?

Nice work, I like it a lot. you got any work on SUV's? I just finished my false floor but it is a very basic one compared to yours lol.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

very nice and clean,

and it sure is fun trying to get a box in and out of that trunk:laugh:

you work for a shop or you own it?
Where r u located?

Nice work, I like it a lot. you got any work on SUV's? I just finished my false floor but it is a very basic one compared to yours lol.
i work at a shop in springfield but i dont do custom work for them, no one around here wants to pay for what we charge lol..... i do it on my own im right outside of springfield. ....and yeah i do SUV, scheck ou tthe jeep grand cherokee build thats on here.

How thick was the plexi? Also very clean...
the plexi was 1/2.. its lexan so its alot stronger then regular acrylic.

and yeah the trunks ****, ive done liek 6 mustangs tho and about to do another one thursday haha .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.