Hifonics HFI 12 Review!

MisterGrubbs
5,000+ posts

Kinda Old School
First off, let me start by saying how cheap this woofer is! Great pricing on it.

The build of the woofer...yeahhh the parts are cheap. Horrible cheap "chrome" cosmetics, shipping weight of 10lbs...???? The woofer itself weighs somewhere around 7.5-8lbs. Terminals are complete crap and might I add the cheapest construction on a terminal I have ever seen in my life. The cone and the surround seem to be decent, basket is a typically cheap stamped basket.

I'd like to mention how fvcking sloppy it is. I would also like to note that it's in 2.0 net slot tuned at 35hz yet the woofer sounds like complete ass, at least to my personal preferences.

I have it on 320w rms(rated at 12.9v) ... with gains at half way, playing within tuning frequency and everything else correctly tuned. HPF at 80. 3/4 volume on Head Unit - the subwoofer began to stink. No big deal, right? I got out, walked to the trunk and opened the trunk - sniffed the port and what do I smell? Not sure, but it's not glue. It honestly smells like the coil is not doing too well.

Worth 35 bucks? Probably, but in the future I will DEFINITELY spend the extra money for at least a Kicker Comp VR or similar. This is a tad ridiculous and I would much rather run a Fosgate P1 or a Funky Pup(literally, it sounds better and will probably take the power better), if that tells you anything.

I wasnt expecting the world, but this is horrible. If I give it the full 300w(in almost burps terms, 5 seconds at most) it gets *reasonably* loud for what it is, but for daily I would not suggest more than 150-200w in a ported enclosure. I would avoid venturing into the 300w rms territory for a sealed enclosure and moderate listening.

Good day.

Ryan

Features:

12" Dual 4 Ohms HFi Series Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 600 watts

RMS: 300 watts

Impedance: Dual 4 ohms

Injected Poly Light Rigid Cone

1 NBR Reinforced Rubber Surround

Integrated One Piece Poly Cotton Spider

Nickel Plated Push & Insert Speaker Terminals

Dual 4 ohm High-Temp KSV Voice Coils

Poly Light Dust Cap

Heat Dispersing Ported Back Plate

Ultra Ridged Chrome Stamped Steel Basket

High Strength ABS Motor Cover

Large Air Cooled Magnet Assembly

Sensitivity: 88 dB

Recommended Ported Box Cubic FT: 1.75 - 2.5

Recommended Sealed Box Cubic FT: 1.25 - 2.15

1-year Manufacturer's warranty

Yep the 300 to 600 is deff for burps. These subs sound fantastic on rap, but not rock. At least in my setup. I have a show coming up soon we will see what it does. I do anticipate blowing a few of these for this show, but I have spares in storage:laugh:

Yep the 300 to 600 is deff for burps. These subs sound fantastic on rap, but not rock. At least in my setup. I have a show coming up soon we will see what it does. I do anticipate blowing a few of these for this show, but I have spares in storage:laugh:
hahaha, amen amen. They definitely DO NOT like 300w RMS, at all. Straight burning on the coil or SOMETHING...no clue and ridiculous.

I like mine, have a pair in 4.5 tuned to 32. They sound pretty solid to me, wish they hit the lows better. Yea they are cheap, had to trim 12 gauge wire to fit 2 wires twisted together in the terminals. I have dual 4s wired to 4 ohms off of a Hifonics Z6000, rated 600w bridged, if I give them hell they small a little, smells like coil to me. After a week they broke in a lil and sound louder. I may get another pair and run 4. I mean what do you expect for $60 shiipped for 2 12s?

It does sound a little better and it's a tad louder now that it's broken in, however - even when I'm not playing low tuned things, just beating on it within tuning, it still gets stinky, I dont get it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.