Running 6 on 4ch?

slapperz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Right now I am running my 4 stock speakers off my HU 17watts RMS x4

And i just bought 2 new silk dome tweeters(4ohm) that i was going to install.

My question is can i run all 6 speakers off my HU without killing it or should i remove the rear door speakers and just run 4?

Don't run 6 off head unit because it's only rated for 4ohms and when adding the tweeters you'll drop impedance. Unless you have a x-over for the tweeters and drivers because the input of the xover should be 4ohms.

The tweeters did come with a crossover for each of them. Does that allow them not to drop the impedance level? The door speakers dont though

Pioneer HU is stable at 2 ohms.

U can run 8 speakers with the HU,i know it becouse my friends's got it.. Sounds like crap though.

Mines not pioneer. Its a flip out DVD screen so i dont want to fry it as I value it alot. The tweeters have xovers should i just run 2 tweets up front with the front doors and someway remove the back doors? Or is 6 not an issue?

If you use the crossovers you'll be fine. It won't change the impedance.

Wiring would look like: Speaker wire from HU to Xover, then from Xover to both the tweeter, and mid speaker.

First of all, what is the xover like that came with the tweeters? It seems like people are thinking it is a 2-way x-over like what would come with a pair of components, but what I've seen is that tweeters ussually just come with HPF's for x-overs. Does your x-over have one output from it or two? That'll determine what type it is. Correct me if I'm wrong which I very well may be. As far as impedence, I know that Infinity has done some studies that show the stock wiring in vehicles allows 2 ohm impedences for speakers (as shown by their Kappa series). I don't know if this is true for all vehicles, but when I tested mine it came out to about a 1.7 increase. I hope this helps. If not, sorry that I just wasted your time.

OK, that sounds like it's just a HPF. What are you trying to obtain by doing this? If I missed it, sorry. I reread but couldn't find where you said it if you did.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.