stock speakers to aftermarket amp

king2

i have an 05 silverado, i just installed kenwood hu and 2 10's and systems sound great. i just want to get a little bit more volume out of stock speakers. is it possible to hook stock speakers up to amp with out blowing them? i want to give speakers a little more power than hu gives.

i just want to get a little bit more volume out of stock speakers. is it possible to hook stock speakers up to amp with out blowing them?
Sure, just listen for signs of stress at higher volumes. You may be surprised by the sound quality. I know I was when I did the same. Good luck.

My stoc rearm 6x9s are taking about 100 watts right now. I expected them to blow right away but they seem to be taking the power and sound decent. Be sure to set gain low.

I've doing it now an here is what to expect. Depending on how stock your system is or if it has a factory upgrade stock speakers will only sound a little better then coming off of a good aftermarket radio. As most people know an average aftermarket radio does 12-14w rms. When I hooked up a 100x4 amp I only got a little louder but sounded a lot better. I power tested where the speakers where starting to distort and was only putting 17w to each speaker which made sense cuz they aren't meant to handle much power and will max out with a little power.

I turned the amp up just to get a power test out of the amp but I ended up hurting the stock speakers but got 95w out of the amp. lol

Point being if you amp them just turn them up till they don't get any louder or start to distort and then stop. They'll take it but keep in mind that it's not much better then your aftermarket kenwood. So you'll have to ask if it's worth the investment of the amp unless you plan on replacing the stock speakers later.

bsh*t to those that say cant do it

i hooked a 200x2 $1100 amp crossover at 200hz to my stock scion speakers 6.5in mid and tweeter in front dolor and it screemed pure 200w at 4ohmz power and speakers didnt blow

on the magnet of the pionner 6.5in speaker in the front door it said 20w, lol

now i was crossover at 200hm which is high but im sure i could have crossedover at 80hz for more midmass and got 100x2 to run as long as its clean power

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

king2

king2
San Antonio, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
mmouse57