Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 Old School 2ohm stable??

Participant count
  • Participant list

RetroAudioinc
5,000+ posts

Custom Car Audio Decals
I am down grading one of my systems to a bit smaller setup.

I have a rockford fosgate punch 150 and a FI BL 15" D1 and wanted to know if the rockford could run at 2ohm bridged? Any one ever done this and do you think it would be ok for the FI BL fully loaded or should I run something a bit bigger? I know these things are way under rated but not sure how much.

I still want some bass but trying to go a bit smaller in my truck from my sundown 3000D as I am using that in my comp car..

They were not designed to run @ 2 ohms mono or 1 ohm stereo, but, I know some who did. Just keep an eye on your temperatures because they tend to thermal when run at low impedances. Truthfully, I wouldn't run a classic Punch amp at 2 ohms unless I was ready to kill it for whatever reason.

As for how underrated they are.... I knew someone who used to modify Punch 150s by upgrading the power supply FETS and outputs. One of my friends was getting 600 watts RMS per Punch 150 @ 4 ohms mono. Ahh, those were the days.

Oh, stock, they were good for about 430 watts RMS or so @ 4 ohms mono. The only problem is you had to up your fuse to a 35 to 40 amp rating to get that power.

I would definetely get something with more power. They usually only run 400+ watts at 4 ohm and they run way too hot at 2 ohm if your running it at a loud volume.

Ok thanks for the input, I will try and find another amp that is small sized but a little more power..

I ran one of these back in the day but it was on 2 old school rockford punch's much lower rms of course but that was like 17 years ago but it sounded good.. lol

I just put a Lunar L2125 on my 13w6v2 and it pushes the hell out of it. It is a small footprint amp, but it is rather tall. It is rated to produce 570 watts RMS at 2 ohms and I would be willing to bet that it produces close to 700!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.