alternator whine/noise

mrjoeyjiffy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So i decided today that since i was off and my big ass sub amp was annoying me underneath my back seat that i would move it to back with the subs.

what a terrible mistake.

i hook everything back up, and im getting this awful hiss from the front speakers, and my subs are like buzzing. even with the volume at 0, if i crank the truck this terrible alternator whine comes through the speakers.

ive tried taking off all of the grounds, one from rear battery, one from mids amp, and the sub amp, and grinded down the metal to clean with no paint, and re-grounded everything, fairly well spaced apart and it doesnt help at all.

the only thing i can think is that

1.) because the morons at audio addiction ran my rcas right beside my power cable

2.) my head unit might be shittily grounded or something of that sort

the only problem with either of those theories is that my stuff has sounded fine until i decided to move the sub amp. anyone have any ideas to help a newb out?

ooh yeaaa...

Check for:

shielded RCA's, grounds, and power cable/RCA distance. Altho some claim its a myth hell.... why not.

I tell you what. I never ever mess with any wiring if the battery cable is still hooked

up. Mine did that one time I was rewiring the sub and a wire went to ground not sure which one, but I got it all hooked back up and the same problem you have was happening to me.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

So I traced it back to the cd player and I called pioneer and the tec guy told me that

it was a common mistake that people didn't take the power wire off the battery before they rewire something.( I even had the ignition turned off too) He said that when I grounded the wire back at the amp, It traced its way back up the RCA wires and blew a resistor in the cd player. But It only cost me 15$ for my mistake.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

to ship it up there to the repair shop cuz it was still under warranty.

Im not saying that's whats wrong with your system but you might want to give your cd player manufacture a call to see what they say.

The tec also told me a way to help that problem not happen again was to take a 10 or 12gage wire and ground it directly to the back of the cd player frame. Because the ground wire on a factory wiring harness is not near big enough.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Hope you can figure it out though.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif

**** i sure hope not, i didnt unhook the battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif. However like i said the subs still have the problem WITHOUT the RCA's plugged in, any insight?

Well it sounds like an amp problem to me. If your good with electrical stuff you can take

the back of the amp off and see if you see any burnt resistors or wiring. Most of the time

in a amp there will be little square black deals not even as big as a dime with 3 prongs coming off of them and they are normally screwed to the side of a heat sink or to the casing of the metal amp. If there's any signs of cracking on the transistors or burnt spots on the chip board where they hook up thats a sure sign you need your amp repaired or claim the warranty.

Yep Im not tryin to be a downer but almost all the people I know that run sound systems in there vehicle have this happen at one time or another

Why do you think your head unit it messed up ?

well i dont i just thought someone had said that could be the case earlier in this thread, my front speakers dont do the same thing my subs do, they just have severe alternator whine, so im not sure if the problems are related or not. because the front speakers act fine until the truck is cranked up and then the whine starts. however my subs are like vibrating all of the time, even without the rca's hooked up. this ***** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

ok so as it turns out i just went outside and here are my current findings:

speakers sound fine except when truck is actually running

subs sound ok, however they vibrate when the radio is on, they do not seem to vibrate any more or less with the truck running or any change in rpms.

The whine is proly your head unit its noise from your alternator its just because there is a resistor that went bad inside there.

Man I know it ***** Iv had the cd played noise happen to me twice you'd thank I would

have learned the first time.

Well I hope this helped you and you can get it fix

I posted that message before i read the new post

Thats a classic sign of the head unit being grounded.

As far as the amp, If you unplug the RCA's out from

the amp(not the radio side) the amp side and you power

everything up does the sub still vibrate???

Good deal then I thank your head unit might be the only thing wrong then

I tell you what, Try to take the head unit out and see if you can plug the RAC

wires into the rear output and see if it still does it then. Also some times you

have a choice to switch the subwoofer out put to the rear RCA jacks on the

radio, Like most pioneer HU have this option.

Always unhook your batt when messing with power wires man. i dont usually completely unhook mine, but i take my amps loose from the battery terminal and set them on my plastic fender well while im doing stuff. I havent had a battery related problem yet, but im super careful because ive seen one explode before //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.