Recoing In Progress. Need some assistence.

528hz
10+ year member

Everything'sMiscellaneous
Well I got my recone in, and was about to glue it. I think the basket is too small. The spider sets right on the flat part of the ring and not down in the indentation like I think it's suppose to.

The cone does not set flat on the top ring and the spider is keeping it from going all the way down. Do I need to trim the spider or get a new basket. Here's some pics:

In the first pic, I artistically drew a black line; isn't this where the spider should set?

DSCN1007.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1001.jpg

DSCN1001.jpg

DSCN1002.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

The spider is in the right spot. It dosent sit in the indentation it sits on the outside ring like in your pics. Now the surround does look a little high off the basket. Where did you get that basket from?

Yeah, it probably sets an 1/8th of an inch above. Almost level with very edge of the ring.

But, if I flip it over and set it face down with the weight of the basket, it will fit perfect. Is it just stiff? It's an old XXX by the way. Maybe since they're high excursion it's like this?

if its a 1/8 inch off i wouldnt worry. My BTL recone was like that. Just make sure to get enough glue under there to hold it tight. Do you have accelarator with the glue?

I have some CA Activator? I'm just worried about when I set the cone on I'm going to have to put something around the surround quickly. It will have to fit perfect around the edge. Shouldn't be a big deal I guess.

if you have the Black CA glue it wont dry that quick. Put a good size bead around the basket ring and a nice bead around where the spider is going to go. Put recone in and turn upside down. The weight of the motor should put enought pressure on the surround to hold it tight to the basket. Then use the accelerator and hit it on the inside of the basket. There should be glue that squeezes out when the basket is upside down. Once it holds turn it around and put some weight on the cone and then hit the spider with the accelerator. Then lay another bead of glue on the outsided edge of the surround and hit it again with the accelerator.

heres what you do.

set everything, make sure that it all fits.

it being a little high is normal.

spread a medium 1/4 inch sized bead of CA glue on the basket where the surround sits.

another bead where the spider sits.

press recone into place, and use something to weight it down, then put on the rubber gasket.

you need about 8-12 poinds on the center of the sub.

a mid, or a few books do the trick.

then apply accelerater to the beads of CA glue.

dont be afraid to put it right on the spider and the surround.

give it 24-48 hours.

then wang away.

if you have the Black CA glue it wont dry that quick. Put a good size bead around the basket ring and a nice bead around where the spider is going to go. Put recone in and turn upside down. The weight of the motor should put enought pressure on the surround to hold it tight to the basket. Then use the accelerator and hit it on the inside of the basket. There should be glue that squeezes out when the basket is upside down. Once it holds turn it around and put some weight on the cone and then hit the spider with the accelerator. Then lay another bead of glue on the outsided edge of the surround and hit it again with the accelerator.
no need for that imo.

only thing i dont like about turning it upside down is if you slide it or something it messes everything up.

imo i wouldn't flip the sub over to get the surround glued onto the basket. that XXX motors has weight on it. and in the process of doing such you can throw it off alignment.

you can use the rubber gasket surround to help apply pressure onto the subs surround when gluing. or you can get a pack of clothes line clips and use that to apply pressure. a forum member on CSO(flak_monkey) did this when his tumults surround glue failed.

1361661917_97a09524d9.jpg

you got a recone kit fast man. lawl.

I understand what you guys are saying buy he has a pretty big gap to try any get down to sit on the basket. I dont think the gasket will work as it will try pulling itself out away from under the gasket. Just make sure you have everything lined up before you spray any of the accelorater. After that stuff is sprayed it turns that glue to a rock instantly

imo i wouldn't flip the sub over to get the surround glued onto the basket. that XXX motors has weight on it. and in the process of doing such you can throw it off alignment.
you can use the rubber gasket surround to help apply pressure onto the subs surround when gluing. or you can get a pack of clothes line clips and use that to apply pressure. a forum member on CSO(flak_monkey) did this when his tumults surround glue failed.

1361661917_97a09524d9.jpg

you got a recone kit fast man. lawl.
x2, I used a whole bunch of those clips too, for the surround and the spider. Make sure you use shims to align your **** though. Those clips work the best. Maybe I should have used the black ca glue instead of the xpoxy **** I used, but I guess they work the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.