Need box design please! (2) JBL W12gti MkII

mrjoeyjiffy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I was hoping someone could make me a sealed box design for 2 JBL W12Gti MkII subwoofers, they are going in the back of my 2001 tahoe (3rd row removed) and will probably be getting around 600-800 watt rms a piece(depending on which amp i end up going with) I want something reasonably loud, but tight hence the reason im going sealed and not ported. Here is a data page with all the T/S info, and as far as size limitations, i think about 40 inches wide and no more than 16-18 inches tall depth isnt really a concern but if i had to put a cap on it i guess i would say about 30 inches. Thanks in advance!
W12GTi_rev_f-1.jpg

Ok well I went out on my own and did some research //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif and I believe I've came up with a pretty good box, comments suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Width 30.5"

Height 17"

Depth 29 3/4"

Vent height 15.5"

Vent Width 4 1/2"

Vent Length 21 1/2"

portedbox2-19-08.jpg

The idea was to make the location of the port provide "bracing" for the box so that no additional bracing would be necessary, is this a good idea?

yes i might make the box a dat bit shorter in depth, but its pretty close to what i want, should this box work well without any additional bracing?

will that be too much airspace? i want it tuned around 30 hz, the manufacturer says 2.25 cubic feet per sub in a ported box, but im thinking theyre saying the low end because most people are confined for space, would 7 cubic feet(closer to 6 cubic feet after port/driver displacement) be too much?

will that be too much airspace? i want it tuned around 30 hz, the manufacturer says 2.25 cubic feet per sub in a ported box, but im thinking theyre saying the low end because most people are confined for space, would 7 cubic feet(closer to 6 cubic feet after port/driver displacement) be too much?
3 cubes net each, should work, and if you do make it too big you can add stuff to the inside of the box to make it smaller.

If they recommend 2.25, then I wouldn't make it any bigger than 5-6ft^3 net.

Alright I think I have this down, JBL calls for 2.25 cubic feet per sub gross, which would be 4.5 cubic feet for 2 subs, this box should have a gross volume of 4.7 cubic feet.

Box:

Width 28"

Height 14"

Depth 26"

Vent:

Height 12.5"

Width 3"

Length 18.4"

Should be tuned to right at about 30 hz, I think this should work well, any suggestions/comments/criticisms are welcome.

ported2.jpg

for anyone who cares im nearly done with the box, just a few more things to do, here are some photos. Note to anyone who lets the guy at lowe's cut your mdf watch them, this lazy piece of **** would cut through it then come back through it with THE SAW STILL RUNNING, 2 belts on a belt sander and a half an hour later and i have them close enough to fit together but definitely not perfect. Anywho here are some pics
almostdonebox1.jpg

almostdonebox2.jpg

That looks good post the pics when all done i want to see.

By any chance how should i do a box for 3 w12gti subs at 2.25 tuned for 30hz i am trying to figure out where do i put the port since its 3 subs?

ttt i have another question.

I've since decided on building a new box with that same design just a bit taller and a bit wider so i can achieve nearly perfect (at least to the manufacturer's specs) airspace, port, etc. And also because everytime i look at it i get pissed at ol dumbass will at my local lowe's for cutting it so terribly.

ANYWAYS, my question is without a double baffle and these subs being as heavy as they are(nearly 40 lbs from what i understand) should i build some sort of support for the back of the woofer? thanks in advance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.