Bigrick31 silverado box construction log

Bigrick31
10+ year member

Carpe Diem
Mid*Cal
ok so i have a new mtx 9500 and i am going to be building a box for it starting in a few moments. i just went outside and took a few measurements and heres what i came up with.

i know i know its a crude drawing on ms paint

mtx9500box.jpg

so im getting a 1" mdf ring made for the speaker and the dark grey are will be fiberglassed. the sides and top of the box will be made out of 3/4 mdf and the bottom of the box will be fiberglassed as it will easily flow with the contours of the bottom of my truck and will allow me more air space. then after i construct the box i will figure out how many ^3ft of air space i have after displacement of the driver and i will make a port to tune the box to 35hz. the recommended size for a box for this woofer from mtx is 1.75^3ft oh and i will also be raising my back seat 3" this is the most i can lift it so that someone my height (6'2") can sit in the back without hitting their head on the roof.

anyways im off to home depot with my drawings to get some wood cut!

just got back from home depot got my wood screws glue gloves and painter suit. im all set. and they even cut my wood for me for free! $67 in materials. not including the fiberglass ive had sitting in my garage for 2 years.

so heres what got done today

Picture010-1.jpg

ripped a bunch o crap out of the truck that i didnt need.

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

layed down aluminum foil and duck tape so the fiberglass comes off the floor easily

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture020-1.jpg

Picture021-1.jpg

and theres some fiberglass thrown on the bottom and sides of the box. thats all for today i ran out of resin so ill be starting back on it first thing in the morning

so i guess the rear seats not going back in? i'm doing a build right now in almost the same vehicle (99 silverado http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242796) but the seat has to stay. i've only set the wood, then glassed once. i didn't like the way it turned out. i usually lay the glass on the floor, then glass the wood on, and trim the edges from the floor. good luck, i'll be watching //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pullover.gif.ac2de04a20ebe8c72a715e86e00c8c0d.gif

so i guess the rear seats not going back in? i'm doing a build right now in almost the same vehicle (99 silverado http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242796) but the seat has to stay. i've only set the wood, then glassed once. i didn't like the way it turned out. i usually lay the glass on the floor, then glass the wood on, and trim the edges from the floor. good luck, i'll be watching //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pullover.gif.ac2de04a20ebe8c72a715e86e00c8c0d.gif
nope the seat is going back in. im just going to raise it 3" i sat in is stock. measured form the top of my head to the roof and found i have 3.25 inches to spare. so i raised the seat 3" to fit the sub and im all good!

just threw on another lair. no pics because it all looks like the same brown mess lol. i hope to finish the base and get the box out of the truck by tomorrow. so i can throw the ring on for the sub.

where are the mounting points for your seats? my 2006 silverado is near impossible to FG the bottom //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

where are the mounting points for your seats? my 2006 silverado is near impossible to FG the bottom //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
2 bolts on each side and 1 in the center of the back.

on one side the box comes close to the bolts but the bolts are on the outside of the box. the other side the bolts are inside the box. ill have to seal the seat bracket once i put the top on. and the back middle bolt that hold the center of the seat is behind the box. there is about an inch between the box and my back cab wall.

nothing is impossible you just gotta get creative!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.