1986 toyota van wall off SPL project.

mikescanlon
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
what kind of information would i need about the van.. just measurements?

i have a 6k budget for subs, amps and wood/fiberglass.

i build my own fiberglass boxes and MDF boxes from plans..

i want a plan for the van that would give me the highest spl output... with any speaker arrangement/port locations/anything you want to make it put out sound.

so. very open to suggestions on subwoofer placement/port placement/ subwoofer brand.

if it were me. i would first find out what class im aiming at, and what orginization its in.

get a rulebook, read up on everything, and then figure out what kind of equipment will give you the largest edge. then look into buying it and get some paper\calculator\time, and start doing calculations.

because 6k is an awfly lot. and if you get a buddy that knows a hell of alot (ive got a few now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) and ask a ton of questions, im sure you will learn mighty quick.

if it were me. i would first find out what class im aiming at, and what orginization its in.
get a rulebook,QUOTE]

different organizations have different rules, like how close you can put the subs to the front in certain classes. What you are and are not allowed to do in box height or modifications to the vehicle itself.

You gonna be hitting all the daytona competitions or the local carshowking (unsanctioned) crap.

get a rulebook, read up on everything, and then figure out what kind of equipment will give you the largest edge. then look into buying it and get some paper\calculator\time, and start doing calculations.

because 6k is an awfly lot. and if you get a buddy that knows a hell of alot (ive got a few now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) and ask a ton of questions, im sure you will learn mighty quick.

Did I miss where he said he is going to compete?

He said "highest SPL possible"...that leads me to believe he's competing.

Otherwise...why go for that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

yeah,i'm going for competition.

i have 4x12 full fiberglass enclosure in my eclipse with 4 SPL3000's and 4 SPL 3000 amps in there also the four channel 600wpremier amp and all REV high+mid's components.. that thing metered at 145...

each sub has 1.9 cubes sealed facing skywards behind the rear seat... it's full fiberglass 9 layers.

i know a little something about car audio : )

i want that one for my daily driver.. i want to hit like 160+ with this one.. i know thats not an easy number, but i have some cash and i have plenty of time and patience and skills for building about anything as far as wood/fiberglass/welding metal goes..

but on the other hand i know i'm not the most educated here, and alot of people know alot more than me, i wanted some tips.. i'm gonna read up on that other stuff now.

i was planing on hitting the daytona shows/orlando/miami... we get shows in west palm beach here like once in a blue moon.. and there are a bunch of local car shops running thier bull **** all the time..

i plan to open a car audio shop eventually, if everything works out.. so i want to be able to smash the compition with this old ass van...

i'm gonna read up some more on the rules for what a van falls into...

my eclipse falls into the stock division for the iasca : ) so it should kill once a compition comes down this way. : )

i was planing on hitting the daytona shows/orlando/miami... we get shows in west palm beach here like once in a blue moon.. and there are a bunch of local car shops running thier bull **** all the time..
Have yet to see a sanctioned show down here in Miami. Daytona seems the be the furthest south place they have sanctioned shows where you can actually get points towards the finals.

also if you do open a shop, you might be able to sponser iasca events in WPB which will be good for me since I wont drive to daytona from south side of Miami //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i meant just like little shows where you can show off, i'm not trying to make a career SPL guy.. if that happens : ) but not what i want.. i just want to make some waves and be heard i guess.

thus the not-normal van to build from : )

Not normal...hey, I drive a cargo van as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Then again, I'm not...normal.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i measured the space.. i have 5 deep by 4 wide, by 5 tall... if i build a removeable box... which i dont care if it's removed or not, this car cost me 525 bucks total out the door. TTT, so it's not a loss : )

i was thinking i could line the walls/roof/floor with fiberglass, like completely to obtain the most airspace possible, 9 layers all the way around.. then wall off the interior with MDF to make individual chambers... is this possible/feasible? i'm pretty good with fiberglass like i said before... but that'd be **** near 20 gallons of resin?.. not sure if i want to spend 600 dollars on just resin...

so maybe a 5x4x5 solid MDF box with standard box building techniques it'd be better?

SPL only.. anyone have subwoofer suggestions? 4x18's? i have 100 squarefeet of displacement.. if i did that right? 5x4x5? = 100.

what kind of brands? amplification?

i have a leftover 220v alt from the eclipse project that just wouldn't fit.. it should fit here, the engine bay has a good amount of space where the alternator goes... haev two yellow tops.. and one redtop that i picked up today.

started shaving the van today too : ) roll pan should be on by next sunday, got rid of that fugly fugly bumper...

i'll have some pics up by next sunday too, this project has been alot more fun than the eclipse already : )

first thing id do, is hit up http://www.weldingsupply.com and get a roll of 0awg.

then id scoop a few kinetikHC2400's and make a nice cell outta them. id see if i could also fit that 220AMP alt in the engine too, thatd help much.

then id prolly go ahead and lay a fat slab of concrete across the entire floor of the van like an inch or two thick. find a place to put your batteries and wire (under the cabin for the 0awg id go for) and try and bolt your grounds to the chassis of the car, and cover with some corrosion stopping stuff (id put some secondskin spectrum\sludge on there lol)

lets see, then id make a box, that goes from the B pillars back to just before the end of the van, as high\wide as possible. itd prolly be 1.5" thick (two layers of .75" MDF for each wall). the rear wall would prolly have a hollow 4" deep chamber that id fill with concrete, and then id screw the top on to make it solid. the baffle would be as deep as the port would need. id prolly look into eaither digital designs 9515\17's, audioque 15's, or possibly a new woofer comming out locally by elevation audio (a new SPL driver via TC sounds)... then id look into getting some big ass amps (4kw each or more) and run them to each speaker. tons of 4x4 bracing inside, all rounded corners inside, and then fiberglass the face of the box to the roof\walls\floor to completly seal off the cab from the box\rear of the vheicle. then sounddeaden the PISS out of it with tons of SS sludge - and if you are up for it, build a whole new dashboard\floor\doopanels and reinfoce the windows, and get some nice door clamps to hold them shut too.

lots of stuff goes into designing the box internals. but everything else is pretty easy, but time consuming.

i have 4 rolls of fatmat.. i have something similar to that sludge.. it's pretty much pourable rubber.

i've heard about concrete before.. is that a sound withholder? should i lay lead pieces inside the wet concrete so it's reinforced with lead? .... they use lead in the PA cabinets from JBL to get the sound to project forwards instead of behind the woofer cabinets.

i was planing to concrete the sides as well where all the panels used to be.. like theres interior and exterior metal.. or is that too much stuff for nothing?

the subs you suggested aren't in production? i cant find them..

also i cant find kinetikHC2400' and i dont know what that is : )

i've heard alot of hype about the alpine type r.. and being 275 bucks a pair shipped, seems like a feasible solution for drivers.. would they work good for my application?

http://www.kinetikaudio.com/ - PM audiolife about them, he might be able to hook you up (possibly)

look around for SPL subs, maybe kicker soloX subs would work in thuis application. and for over 160db - i highly doubt the type r can fit into this application without blowing up every run.

possibly? VV

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Design-15-Subs-Awesome-SPL-Subwoofers-Speakers_W0QQitemZ5810239063QQcategoryZ18804QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-SOLO-X-18-SUBWOOFER-S18X-2-OHM-NEW-2004_W0QQitemZ5809698219QQcategoryZ18805QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sides, just brace with threaded rod and nuts or some good ol' 4x4's and lagbolts with pre-drilled holes. that should be more than enough for the sides. only floor\rear for concrete.

and get your resin from http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

"EB General Purpose Polyester Resin - SM-EB0500 - 5 Gallon - $73.50"

pretty cheap, you might be able to get a really nice deal on a 50gal drum - shipping is gonna be killer though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.