Is plywood a good type of wood to construct a sealed box for 2 12" subs?

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Express 4x4

Flowmaster 40 Series

HBS 2.5 Level Kit

20x9 Fuel Kranks (Black)

Kicker ZXS1500.1

(2) Alpine SWR-12D2's (2012 Version)

Fox Acousitcs box 1.5 cubed per chamber @ 35 hertz

no. medium density fiberboard, aka mdf

forumwh0rema2.gif

well im not hard anymore and it would hurt so bad to get it up again i would rather stick it out then constantly touch my balls when they hurt this bad

Hey, it's Chicago, not Cleveland, so at least he doesn't have the walking cesspools and centers of disease research that are Grady's Ladies talking to him.

So plywood is not an option?

Flowmaster 40 Series

HBS 2.5 Level Kit

20x9 Fuel Kranks (Black)

Kicker ZXS1500.1

If you would like it to fall apart, it is a great idea. :veryhapp:

andybsig7yj.jpg

"I only know thats a black lady cuz theres pubes on her head too" - vosschs

"That's what you get for owning more than one piece of shit." - Mountaineer Man

"Power output on a red @ 14.4 v wired down to .5 ohm?" - 404

"Their", "they're", and "there" are

three different words that have three

different meanings, and three different

situations that you can use them correctly in.

sold to: godzukiduce

no. medium density fiberboard, aka mdf

So can I just get this at any lumber yard? Along with woodglue and screws?

Flowmaster 40 Series

HBS 2.5 Level Kit

20x9 Fuel Kranks (Black)

Kicker ZXS1500.1

Home Depot carries MDF.

Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400

512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w

Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010

12" Alpine Type R

Hifonics Nemesis NX-750D

HiFonics Zeus ZX4400

Plywood will flex under pressure, go with the .75" MDF or if your lumber yard doesnt carry it use High Density Particle Board

Team DefJ

http://www.myspace.com/loudinspl

64182a0.jpg

WWW.JAGGEDEDGEKUSTUMVINYL.NET

REF'S:

VOSSCHS-NJACK2AF-WOWIMZZ-DECIPHA-AZNGOTSKILLS-TRAFFICJAMZ-MILLIONARE1-QTRHORSE

TSL13505-DJL(2)-KNOTSLCK-KYLEC-KNUKONCEPTZ(4)-KEIFERSRACING-TEAM H&K

ANDRIZZLE-95BLACKGA(3)-MAX_POWER-POUNDINDAK69-DVRMSTRNG-BLONG131-PIMPDADDYQ

NOPH33RACING-KPR10IS-XTREMEBASSJUNKY-ENVEE 02-J3M CONCEPTS(3)

CONNERSDAD19(6)-SNOOPDAN(2)-SUNDOWNZ(3)-MRWIGGLEZDJ-ASTYL-BLAZIN_JASON-GOT_FOCUS?

SPLCHOICE-DBDESIGNSELITE-JEREMY M-GLADIATOR_JAI-QTIPEXTRA(2)-BJFISH11(2)

MEMPHISFLEX-CHA0-BBALL09124-BUCKYBOY-CURTIS1993-ICPURPLEPPLALOT-BMBORSK-P3BUMPIN-DEFJ165

No, lumberyards are completely against screws and glue. They feel it's harmful and heartless to ever harm the wood with glue and screws. I highly doubt they would carry products like that.

My Winter System:

15" L7 completely fiberglassed into the trunk w/ fiberglassed kicks for Infinity 6000cs's.

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116339

just go into home depot and you should be fine mang...

most fine lumber yards should sell it

Bought from: IS_250, nismos14, chaunb3400, tweet02, dadon, IonSQL, lslugz, dye4metal, RetroAudioinc

Lot of wacky info in this thread.

True void-free, cabinet grade 3/4" ply is excellent material for speaker enclosures. However, at $45 a sheet it's more than double what MDF costs. So it's a value question, not a structural one. But if you properly brace the enclosure, baltic birch or similar furniture grade plywood is primo stuff - if you afford the price tag.

qXvZLUF.png

True void-free, cabinet grade 3/4" ply is excellent material for speaker enclosures. However, at $45 a sheet it's more than double what MDF costs. So it's a value question, not a structural one. But if you properly brace the enclosure, baltic birch or similar furniture grade plywood is primo stuff - if you afford the price tag.

Agreed. :)

However, you'll find the majority of perfectly acceptable quality enclosures are built out of MDF. Dollar for dollar it makes a much better box than comparably priced plywood. Can you use normal, everyday CDX-grade ply? Yep. You sure can. :) Would that $15~$18/sheet be better applied buying MDF? Yep. Sure would. :)

Refs: [

CA.com] [eBay.com]

Forumsignatureimage.jpg

Lot of wacky info in this thread.

:)

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid

Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

alright, well my grandpa is helping me with the project, he is more experienced with wood working. He told me 1/4-1/2 inch plywood (most likely ill be getting 1/2), finished on both sides. and to get 6 two-by-twos that are 6 or 8 feet long to brace the box.. and of course, wood glue and screws... Im not really sure on what he plans on doing with the two-by-twos. SO you guys think I will be safe?

Flowmaster 40 Series

HBS 2.5 Level Kit

20x9 Fuel Kranks (Black)

Kicker ZXS1500.1

alright, well my grandpa is helping me with the project, he is more experienced with wood working. He told me 1/4-1/2 inch plywood (most likely ill be getting 1/2), finished on both sides. and to get 6 two-by-twos that are 6 or 8 feet long to brace the box.. and of course, wood glue and screws... Im not really sure on what he plans on doing with the two-by-twos. SO you guys think I will be safe?

2x2's would likely be for bracing.

I'd just save your money and go for the the 3/4" MDF and be done with it.

'Good-on-both-sides' furniture grade plywood isn't cheap at all.

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid

Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

He may be an expirenced woodworker and your lucky he's helping you, however I don't know if he fully understands how much pressure is inside of a sub box at times, I know my grandpa wouldn't, but maybe he does, no clue. go 3/4 inch.

My Winter System:

15" L7 completely fiberglassed into the trunk w/ fiberglassed kicks for Infinity 6000cs's.

Interesting story.

I met a guy who had a dual 10" enclosure built entirely out of chromed diamond plate sheet metal welded together, it looked awsome but sounded awful, nasty resonance.

:D

Interesting story.

I met a guy who had a dual 10" enclosure built entirely out of chromed diamond plate sheet metal welded together, it looked awsome but sounded awful, nasty resonance.

Thats a little off topic dont you think? I will call him tommorow and ask him about the MDF..so if i get mdf....I need 3/4"? How much does that usually run? And, I asked this earlier but I didnt get a clear answer...Does a lumberyard carry mdf?

Flowmaster 40 Series

HBS 2.5 Level Kit

20x9 Fuel Kranks (Black)

Kicker ZXS1500.1

#1- call your local lumberyard for that answer, it's most likely in the phone book under lumber yards or building supplies

#2- Sheet of MDF is typically around $20 give or take a few dollars

My Winter System:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now