Is plywood good.

alright, well my grandpa is helping me with the project, he is more experienced with wood working. He told me 1/4-1/2 inch plywood (most likely ill be getting 1/2), finished on both sides. and to get 6 two-by-twos that are 6 or 8 feet long to brace the box.. and of course, wood glue and screws... Im not really sure on what he plans on doing with the two-by-twos. SO you guys think I will be safe?
2x2's would likely be for bracing.

I'd just save your money and go for the the 3/4" MDF and be done with it.

'Good-on-both-sides' furniture grade plywood isn't cheap at all.

He may be an expirenced woodworker and your lucky he's helping you, however I don't know if he fully understands how much pressure is inside of a sub box at times, I know my grandpa wouldn't, but maybe he does, no clue. go 3/4 inch.

Interesting story.

I met a guy who had a dual 10" enclosure built entirely out of chromed diamond plate sheet metal welded together, it looked awsome but sounded awful, nasty resonance.

Interesting story.I met a guy who had a dual 10" enclosure built entirely out of chromed diamond plate sheet metal welded together, it looked awsome but sounded awful, nasty resonance.
Thats a little off topic dont you think? I will call him tommorow and ask him about the MDF..so if i get mdf....I need 3/4"? How much does that usually run? And, I asked this earlier but I didnt get a clear answer...Does a lumberyard carry mdf?

#1- call your local lumberyard for that answer, it's most likely in the phone book under lumber yards or building supplies

#2- Sheet of MDF is typically around $20 give or take a few dollars

I asked this earlier but I didnt get a clear answer...Does a lumberyard carry mdf?
Think about that really really hard-

Lumber yards carry wooden building supplies.

MDF is a wooden building material.

Now think real hard about about this.

Think about that really really hard-Lumber yards carry wooden building supplies.

MDF is a wooden building material.

Now think real hard about about this.
You sir are an idiot. Get out of my thread if you can't answer my question maturely

You sir are an idiot. Get out of my thread if you can't answer my question maturely
You're the one who doesn't know what MDF is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Would 1" mdf be better if you are using a lot of power?
Would be a lot better. The SPL guys often use MDF in layers to stiffen up the enclosure.

At what point would that be necesary?
When your current enclosure is flexing too much and robbing you of dB's //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

He might have come across a little harsh, but his point was correct. And it was previously answered in the thread by other posters.

In what way does that mean I am an idiot? All that is showing is that my knowledge of building boxes is limited.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.