Zvx 8 vs Sundown sa-8v3

Bass911
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Dallas,TX
They are both about the same price if I get a b-stock sa8. I saw someone switch to Zvx and he said the Zvx outdid the Sa, but I'm still not sold on the Zvx. Another person that deals with a lot of different 8s said he wasn't impressed with the Zvx's lows. Does anyone really know if the Sundown is better?

They are both about the same price if I get a b-stock sa8. I saw someone switch to Zvx and he said the Zvx outdid the Sa, but I'm still not sold on the Zvx. Another person that deals with a lot of different 8s said he wasn't impressed with the Zvx's lows. Does anyone really know if the Sundown is better?

Being a fan of 8's and doing quite a bit of studying on them, here are some of the ones that I like. Btw, I'm currently running 4 VFL 8's in my truck on a 3K and metered 148.5.
1. Sundown X8
2. CT Meso 8
3. AB HD8 (the one with the blue basket)
4. Ampere Audio rve 2.5 8
5. VFL8 (with the ribbed surround)
6. Sundown SA8v3
7. SSA F8L
8. Hutchinson 8 (great sub, but too pricey)
9. DD 2508 (probably the best, but too pricey)

I really don't look at Skar, for various reasons. Skar is just a generic Sundown. I'm that there are plenty more options for 8's out there, such as Savard, DC, B2, Massive, Soundqubed, Audio Legion, Dayton, etc... The list is just the ones that I've looked into.

Last edited:
I'm aware of all of those brands but haven't actually heard them in person. It seems like I'm hearing too much mechanical noise when I watch the Zvx being free aired, but I don't hear it with the Sundown? I saw a video where a guy said the Sundown was better than the vfl. The Meso is not in stock. I don't want DC because of the 2 inch coil. I like the one with the blue basket, it might be similar to the DD. I really want the x8 but don't to spend the money. I'm already spending money on lithium. I'm gonna be running 3 8s on a sfb3000 or 5000.

I'm aware of all of those brands but haven't actually heard them in person. It seems like I'm hearing too much mechanical noise when I watch the Zvx being free aired, but I don't hear it with the Sundown? I saw a video where a guy said the Sundown was better than the vfl. The Meso is not in stock. I don't want DC because of the 2 inch coil. I like the one with the blue basket, it might be similar to the DD. I really want the x8 but don't to spend the money. I'm already spending money on lithium. I'm gonna be running 3 8s on a sfb3000 or 5000.

If you have narrowed it down to just those two choices, then, it's really not even a hard question. The Sundown by far is your best choice. Sorry, if my first reply was too long. Good luck with your build!

Does anyone really know if the Sundown is better?
I had a pair of ZVX8s. They sounded good in a big ported box. As for mechanical noise, I too noticed that, but it did not increase along with higher power. But, the tinsel lead thread that holds them to the spider tore closest to the cone. ALL 4 tinsel thread on BOTH subs. Rattling at all volumes, I thought I had killed them. Ended up gluing tinsel to cone where they scarred it. Black surround glue worked great.

Big difference in subs between the 2. First off, the skar 8s parameters are better suited towards sealed boxes, and if you did want to go ported with skar, you’d need them in a large ported box to get them to perform well. Sundown 8s are far better geared to put into ported enclosures, and the enclosure can be really small as well. You’d need to put the skar into 2 cubes to compete with what the sundown can do in less than half that space. Sometimes quality comes in the form of efficiency, and sundown stomps all over every subwoofer skar has to offer.

I would take Sundown. Skar seemingly tries to copy Sundown, Skar literally uses some Sundown parts from what I understand. Sundown is what Skar wants to be. Sundown is the innovator, give the money to them.

Big difference in subs between the 2. First off, the skar 8s parameters are better suited towards sealed boxes, and if you did want to go ported with skar, you’d need them in a large ported box to get them to perform well. Sundown 8s are far better geared to put into ported enclosures, and the enclosure can be really small as well. You’d need to put the skar into 2 cubes to compete with what the sundown can do in less than half that space. Sometimes quality comes in the form of efficiency, and sundown stomps all over every subwoofer skar has to offer.
I was going to put 3 Sundowns in 3 cubes because I find it hard to believe they still hit the lows good in .75? Also I see a lot of custom boxes on ebay that are 1 cube ported for the Sundown.

I was going to put 3 Sundowns in 3 cubes because I find it hard to believe they still hit the lows good in .75? Also I see a lot of custom boxes on ebay that are 1 cube ported for the Sundown.
The enclosure can be as small as .5 cubes for the sundown SA 8. The only reason I’m not running these myself, is that I didn’t like the 40hz fs and the slightly higher port tuning it wants. I was looking for an 8 with an fs in the low 30s. I’m partial to tuning my boxes very low.

The enclosure can be as small as .5 cubes for the sundown SA 8. The only reason I’m not running these myself, is that I didn’t like the 40hz fs and the slightly higher port tuning it wants. I was looking for an 8 with an fs in the low 30s. I’m partial to tuning my boxes very low.

I'm trying to find any experience with these guys. I can't find any info or rms in these guys.

I'm trying to find any experience with these guys. I can't find any info or rms in these guys.
They are 500 watts rms. I’ve done a ton of software modeling on them, but I went a different direction with the Dayton ultimax. The only time I’ve heard one in person was in someone else’s car, and his box was a terrible prefab, so I honestly do not know how it would sound on a nice custom enclosure.

When I asked the question, I was under the impression that the sa8v3 had a 2.5" coil. I kinda don't want it anymore. I'd rather get something with a 2.5" coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...