Zv4 15 box almost done!!!

Spax screws? No pre-drilling required, designed not to split. Not sure how they would do when going into 3/4" wide material near an edge though.

Well... you're gonna find out... it's probably 6hp after rise if those amps deliver as advertised... and the center port would have used airspace... the side port was the best option with the space given... rhino-line the thing and hook it up!.. I'd love to see a vid
I totally get why we had to port it the way we did with the dimensions I gave you but I think I can get a lot more room once I get the amp rack installed and get some better measurements just didn't want to go to big initially and have a box that I couldn't use but I think it was booming Tahoe who said something about having plenty of space and I rechecked and it did look like I was going to have way more space than I initially thought anyways I'm definitely happy with it and appreciate the design don't want you to think anything different also what does 6hp mean

Spax screws are cool I've used them a few times but I would bet my bottom dollar they would split three quarter inch material with no pre-drilling and that other way seems like it's just way too much work but thanks for the tip though if it continues to be a problem in the future I might give it a try but I have never had two pieces of would not join together properly because of the screw sometimes they push apart when the screw starts cutting into the second piece of material but if you just keep cranking it will **** them both together tight as it could ever be

Had a spax screw on hand. .142 shank and 3" long. I screwed it into the end of a 3/4" piece of MDF and stopped about 1/2" shy of going in all the way just to be cautious. No splitting.

I'm about to make a box just need a design. I'll stick with using a #8 countersink bit.

Wish I had a brad nailer...

Is it a guarantee that it wont spit the wood if you don't pre drill 1st? Weather it is or isn't, that pre-drilled hole acts as a guide for the screw to go into. I'll stick with the old school proven method...that I've been doing for years.

As far as Brad nailers go you can get them fairly cheap especially at a pawn shop me personally I would always go for the heaviest gauge I can get because the lighter the gauge the more the nails tend to flag or kick out the side of the material which is known as flagging and that ***** too almost as bad as splitting your box with screws when you're putting the last piece on but not quite

Hold nailgun straight instead of cocked/tilted....and won't have that problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I know it sounds so simple but I swear no matter how hard you try eventually one of those little bastards will curl out somewhere somehow whether it's on doors and door casings or speaker boxes and mine's a 16 gauge nailer so it's not a super small by any means but when you start shooting 2 to 2 and 1/2 in nails that are skinny as a toothpick weird s*** can happen

I totally get why we had to port it the way we did with the dimensions I gave you but I think I can get a lot more room once I get the amp rack installed and get some better measurements just didn't want to go to big initially and have a box that I couldn't use but I think it was booming Tahoe who said something about having plenty of space and I rechecked and it did look like I was going to have way more space than I initially thought anyways I'm definitely happy with it and appreciate the design don't want you to think anything different also what does 6hp mean
Look up how many watts in 1 horsepower

Goin' big huh?.. I kept the airspace slightly small, right at 4ft3 net per due to your power... those are solid subs with a lot of ability but I'd be a little careful with too much larger of a box... it's gonna be around 4.5K after rise now... (if those amps deliver 7K)... and to be demoing it I'm not sure how much more power you'll really want... a 8.5K amp will put you around 5.5K after rise and it's ported for that the way it is (that's the max tho). I'm not sure that adding much more power would be advisable over 8.5K for a pair of 15's anyways... get it all hooked up and see how it sounds 1st... might be ok the way it is... or just meh... we'll see

Honestly I think it'll be fine and sounds great for me at least all that stuff about upgrading and different boxes is just pipe dreams you know how it goes maybe someday it'll be something to consider but for now I am solely focused on getting what I got installed and I plan on rolling with that for a while

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.