Zed Audio Minotaur I Repair

firey_kimchi

10+ year member
Dec 28, 2011
Is there anyone, other than Zed, that can repair these amps? I've sent this amp out 3 different times to get fixed and no one is able to fix it. It always comes back with the same problem...continuous popping sounds after it turns on.

firey_kimchi

10+ year member
Dec 28, 2011
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's been to him twice and still has had the same issue after getting it back. Long story short, we had a "disagreement" awhile back and he refused to repair anything for me anymore. Then, I sent it to another well-known repair technician/engineer that used to work with him and he couldn't fix it either after having it for a year (at least he told me that he couldn't). I just want the amp fixed so I can either use it or sell it. This post isn't meant to throw spears at anyone.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
If you are planning on selling it, just throw it on eBay the way it is. Fully describe the problem with it. Their are people who repair amplifiers as a hobby who will buy it as a challenge.

I sold a broken Rockford amplifier on there a couple of years ago, the difference in price was less than the repair cost would have been.

Reactions: audiobaun

firey_kimchi

10+ year member
Dec 28, 2011
I'd prefer to get it fixed and use it. I have a second, fully functioning Minotaur, and would like to run them together.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
It's been to him twice and still has had the same issue after getting it back. Long story short, we had a "disagreement" awhile back and he refused to repair anything for me anymore. Then, I sent it to another well-known repair technician/engineer that used to work with him and he couldn't fix it either after having it for a year (at least he told me that he couldn't). I just want the amp fixed so I can either use it or sell it. This post isn't meant to throw spears at anyone.
If Stephen couldn't manage to get it working I can't imagine who else can.
That said, not sure if Sound West in Tacoma does amp repair beyond Harmon International products but they have a guy there that can fix A6000GTI amp which by all accounts is an overcomplicated nightmare so I'd imagine if that guy still works for them he is pretty damned good at amp repair.

firey_kimchi

10+ year member
Dec 28, 2011
I finally got the popping issue fixed but now there's loud static when I use the amp's crossover (high/low) in "Pre" mode. If I put it in "Flat" mode, there's no static noise. I swapped out RCAs and it still has static. I swapped the amp out with another Minotaur amp and there wasn't any static noise in "Pre" mode. What could this be?

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
I finally got the popping issue fixed but now there's loud static when I use the amp's crossover (high/low) in "Pre" mode. If I put it in "Flat" mode, there's no static noise. I swapped out RCAs and it still has static. I swapped the amp out with another Minotaur amp and there wasn't any static noise in "Pre" mode. What could this be?
It could be dirty pots. I assume flat mode bypasses x-overs so no need to run signal by the pots.

firey_kimchi

10+ year member
Dec 28, 2011
Yes, "Flat" mode bypasses the amp's x-overs. I just got it back from being repaired so I would've hoped it was fully checked out and tested prior to them returning it. I guess I'll just have to use the H/U's x-overs and run it that way.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Yes, "Flat" mode bypasses the amp's x-overs. I just got it back from being repaired so I would've hoped it was fully checked out and tested prior to them returning it. I guess I'll just have to use the H/U's x-overs and run it that way.
BTW, how did you fix the popping issue?

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 23, 2014
If Stephen couldn't manage to get it working I can't imagine who else can.
That said, not sure if Sound West in Tacoma does amp repair beyond Harmon International products but they have a guy there that can fix A6000GTI amp which by all accounts is an overcomplicated nightmare so I'd imagine if that guy still works for them he is pretty damned good at amp repair.
I hear Mike Nicholls at US Acoustics is very good at repairing amps. He was at Zed in their early days. Maybe give him a shot, that is if he will do the repair.

firey_kimchi

10+ year member
Dec 28, 2011
He was the "well-known repair technician/engineer that used to work with Zed" that I sent it to but he couldn't fix it. The continuous popping noise has been fixed after I sent it to someone else for repair but now it has loud static if I use the amp's x-overs.

jrouter76

jrouter76
10+ year member
Apr 22, 2005
try replacing the RCA inputs on the amp`s board itself,requires that the inputs be desoldered from the main board and replaced with new ones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.