Taramps Smart 5 single RCA IN? (Bass knob problem)

Lowkey

10+ year member
Nov 5, 2011
I have a Pioneer 80prs with the standard red/white RCA sub output. I've seen 3 different methods for hooking up the Smart 5. All 3 recommend by some and criticized by others. Which method do you use/recommend?

1. Use a Y splitter to combine the L/R RCAs into one and plug that into the IN.
2. Just use one side of the RCA to connect to the IN. Taping up the other and letting it hang.
3. Use both L/R into the IN and OUT. Treating it like a standard connection and basically ignoring the word OUT. I emailed Taramps about this and they said it would work normally this way but the majority of people I talk to seem to be convinced this is a terrible idea and will damage the amp.

The perfectionist in me really wants to do this in the most optimal way but I can't find a solid answer as to which way that is.

• Love
Reactions: VjiQ

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
As I understand it, the rca’s are wired together inside the amplifier. So plugging into the ‘out’ rca and using a splitter are basically the same thing.
I have both of my rcas plugged into my smart 3, and have for well over a year. No problems.

• Thanks

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
I have my current smart 5 bass with a splitter. But you can do either.

Reactions: Bobbytwonames

Lowkey

10+ year member
Nov 5, 2011
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair enough. It seems there isn't a clearly superior choice. Makes it frustrating for someone who wants to do it the "best" way lol

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
I mean the correct way would be using a splitter to the one Input. The output for if you have another.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
I've ran a single, a splitter, and had both plugged in on my Smart 3. No real difference from my experience.

Matt

• Dislike

Lowkey

10+ year member
Nov 5, 2011
Anyone know why I'd be getting noise thru the subs when I hook up my universal rca style bass knob?

Tried 2 different knobs and different rcas to no avail, didn't do this with my last amp.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
Anyone know why I'd be getting noise thru the subs when I hook up my universal rca style bass knob?

Tried 2 different knobs and different rcas to no avail, didn't do this with my last amp.

Are they LC1s? I hate LC1s. Started buying these and have never looked back.

• Haha

Lowkey

10+ year member
Nov 5, 2011
Are they LC1s? I hate LC1s. Started buying these and have never looked back.

One is similar to an LC-1 (cheap) the other I bought from Slam Panda systems and is very nice.

Both worked fine with 2 previous amps but neither works with the Taramps without causing constant noise.

• Sad

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
One is similar to an LC-1 (cheap) the other I bought from Slam Panda systems and is very nice.

Both worked fine with 2 previous amps but neither works with the Taramps without causing constant noise.
So with no knob at all there is no noise?

I have no noise with my EFX knob. LC1 caused alot.

Lowkey

10+ year member
Nov 5, 2011
So with no knob at all there is no noise?

I have no noise with my EFX knob. LC1 caused alot.
Zero noise without a knob hooked up. But it happens with 2 different knobs that I know work and with 2 different RCAs that I know work.

I noticed if I turn the LPF all the way to the left it sounds a lot better but I still get a hum thru the subs. Goofy thing is the noise happens even with sub option on the radio turned off.

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Sounds like a radiated noise problem where you have the knob mounted. Try moving the knob to a different location.

Lowkey

10+ year member
Nov 5, 2011
Sounds like a radiated noise problem where you have the knob mounted. Try moving the knob to a different location.
Neither of my bass knobs were mounted when I tested them. At different times I had them in the back seat with me or up front.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.