Zed Audio Gladius with or with out Burr Brown chipset

phogstenjr
10+ year member

Hello,

I just installed my old set of Quart Mobile 218.03 CX in my 2006 Civic LX Sedan and am currently running them on the head unit's (Kenwood DPX301) internal amplifier (rated at 22 watts X 4 at less than 1% THD).

I am considering the Zed Audio Gladius amplifier to run the QM 218.03. Can anyone explain what the Burr Brown chipset will do for me?

Thanks,

Paul

Hello,

Today I am installing my old Alpine MRD –M501 subwoofer amplifier. I sold my old subwoofer box (2 - 10" Power Acoustik FUBR Series). I purchased the following since I am on a budget (total cost for the subwoofer and enclosure under $115.00:

2 - Orion C2 124 ($29.00 each at Mickey Shorr's)

1 - MTX dual 12" enclosure ($49.00 at Circuit City)

For my rear fill I picked up a set of Pioneer TS-G1641R 61/2" 2-way speakers ($19.00 at ABC Warehouse). I figure that this should do for some backfill (I can run these off of the Kenwood stereo at say 100 HZ).

As for the stereo (Kenwood DPX301) I picked it up for $250 with a free KTC-HR100TR Add On Hd Tuner (usually sells for $99.00) at ABC Warehouse. They even had an aftermarket dash kit, so I picked that up as well.

Let me know if anyone has any other recomendations for a 2 channel amplifier to run the QM 218.03 61/2" seperates?

Paul

Hello,
I just installed my old set of Quart Mobile 218.03 CX in my 2006 Civic LX Sedan and am currently running them on the head unit's (Kenwood DPX301) internal amplifier (rated at 22 watts X 4 at less than 1% THD).

I am considering the Zed Audio Gladius amplifier to run the QM 218.03. Can anyone explain what the Burr Brown chipset will do for me?

Thanks,

Paul
Burr Brown is the maker of a line of "operational amplifiers" sold by TI. Opamps perform the signal processing, and are esentially small amplifiers (less then 1/4th watt power output).

Many amplifiers make use of some of the cheaper opamps. primarily the tl06x, 7x and 8x lines (0.20ea, tl071). while these opamps are suitable for audio, and actually work fine, some people demand more modern and better performing opamps. primarily this will be the Burr-Brown OPA134($0.95,opa134) and OPAx604 ($1.05,opa604) lines.

Burr-Brown also makes a OPA627 ($12.25,opa627), which is a single opamp model. the tl07x, OPAx134, and OPAx604 are all also available in dual opamp packages.

The BurrBrown upgrade, as claimed by the owner/manufacturer of Zed Audio Amps, will offer a noticeable improvement in sound quality over the non BB upgraded amp.

If you would like more info you can find and search on Zed Audio's forum. Or you can call the manufacturer of the amps and ask the big man yourself. His phone number is listed on the company's website.

I went ahead with the BB upgrade on my Duece as well. I was told the same....a noticable difference IF auditioned back to back. Kind of like looking for a good HD tv though.....most look fantastic alone, but to find what's best you would have to do side by side comparisons. I'm sure the standard model sounds great, just that if true to claim, the BB is slightly better. Choices.....

Hello,
Today I am installing my old Alpine MRD –M501 subwoofer amplifier. I sold my old subwoofer box (2 - 10" Power Acoustik FUBR Series). I purchased the following since I am on a budget (total cost for the subwoofer and enclosure under $115.00:

2 - Orion C2 124 ($29.00 each at Mickey Shorr's)

1 - MTX dual 12" enclosure ($49.00 at Circuit City)

For my rear fill I picked up a set of Pioneer TS-G1641R 61/2" 2-way speakers ($19.00 at ABC Warehouse). I figure that this should do for some backfill (I can run these off of the Kenwood stereo at say 100 HZ).

As for the stereo (Kenwood DPX301) I picked it up for $250 with a free KTC-HR100TR Add On Hd Tuner (usually sells for $99.00) at ABC Warehouse. They even had an aftermarket dash kit, so I picked that up as well.

Let me know if anyone has any other recomendations for a 2 channel amplifier to run the QM 218.03 61/2" seperates?

Paul
What circuit city did you goto? harper woods?

Yep, I purchased the 12" enclosure at the Harper Woods Circuit City store. So far this enclosure with the Orion subwoofers sound great (have played for about an hour tonight). I supose they will sound better when they are broke in. I will also have to fine tune all the amplier setting on this complicated Alpine MRD –M501 amplifier!

Here are the specs on the enclosure

:

MTX Dual 12" Subwoofer Enclosure (BS212S)

Enclosure type Sealed

Dual or Single Dual

Composition MDF

Internal volume 2.0 cubic feet (1 Cubic Foot per woofer and they are seperated)

Speaker wire connection Spring-loaded terminal cup with 5-way binding posts

Type of material Carpet

Color Gray

Dimensions

Height 13.9 inches

Width 28.4 inches

Depth 12.6 inches

Paul

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.