Zane or anybody I have a problem....

adamawayfrommpa
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My two kenwood tornado's 600w peak, 160 w rms are in my bandpass box and playing through my kenwood 275w peak amp...I have each sub hooked up as a different side. One sub is the left and one is the right....When I turn all the sound to my right speaker it sounds great but when I turn it all to my left speaker the sub sounds ok but I can hear a scratchy noise when it hits...not even a hard hit just a little bit of volume makes it scratchy...When I play them both equally the left one still sounds scratchy....What could be making it sound scratchy...I've checked the connections and their all good but the cords are touching....Is that causing the noise?

Thakn you lots

Adam

My site:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/adam2000

My email:

adamawayfrommpa2000@yahoo.com

http://images.andale.com/f2/107/107/3245322/1013574468219_744337.gif

That could possibly be the problem...If that is the case the sub will actuall jump in instead of out. You will still get some output but too much travel inward will cause components to hit each other causing noise and quite possible permenant damage. Another possibility is that you could have a defective\damaged voice coil. If your voice coil is not perfectly centered or is mishaped for any reason it could cause it to "scratch" against the pole piece and cause the sound you are hearing.

These are just my .02 cents...Hope they help.

The GhostRider

Eclipse

Soundstream

Image Dynamics

If you speaker wires are touching- your sub is getting misinformation from the amp. It would be basically shorting out the signal as the - and + are touching.

These need to be shielded and kept separate from each other.

+ to + and - to - so they are in phase.

As pointed out allready, if doing this does not resolve your trouble; you likely have damaged the voice coil of the sub and it will need to be replaced. Kenwoods Tornado woofers are notorious for doing this at random, so if this is the case, I would blame more of a design flaw than your own install. I have only seen a small handful of Tornado's that have had no problems, and IMO- Kenwood needs to discontinue and re-design them all together.

One test you may want to try is removing the woofer from its enclosure and running the speaker leads to a 6 or 9 volt battery. Connect the negative speaker lead to the negative battery terminal and then briefly touch the posative speaker lead to the posative battery terminal. Leave the woofer sitting facing up. When you do this, the speaker cone should move out ward. See if the scratching is still present while doing this, if so- then the VC is the problem.

take it easy,

-zane

Hrmm... Well if the wires were touching then see if they are touching on both the left and the right speaker. If they are both uniform (either neither of them have wires touching or probably in your case both have the wires touching) then both should either be fine or both should be bad. Check if they are uniform. If they are then you probably have a blown left speaker. And like Zane said you would need to replace the voice coil, more simply if you still have the warrenty try to get it replaced. Without even seeing the wiring I can guess that the speaker is most likely blown. The only speaker I have ever damaged was one of my computer speakers. I turned it up pretty loud and soon I did the same test you did (play only left, only right, and both equal) and the left sounded like doo doo was coming out of it. Oh! Another suggestion I just thought of. #1 Did you just purchase them? #2 Did it ever work previously? #3 Did you turn it louder than you usually do at a point in time that you can remember? If your answers are No; Yes; (Most likely yes), then you almost definately need to replace the voice coil. If your answers are Yes; N/A; N/A then the problem is most likely the wiring. And if your answers are No ; No ; No well... then you really need to buy some new speakers. Hehe. I have not replied on any help topics before but I feel I have enough experience to do so now. Hope I was of help. Good luck.

Ok guys thanks for everything.....What I did was look on the back of the amp and I took a chance at swith in the pos and neg into the wrong holes even though they were pluged in correctly according to the pos/neg symbols on the connectors. I put the pos into the neg hole and the neg into the pos hole and now it doesn't make the scratchy noise and they both play fine one at a time and together....Thanks for all the suggestion...Why did my doing this fix it...Was the amp just improperly marked...

Adam Chandler

My Site:

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/adam2000

My email:

adamawayfrommpa2000@yahoo.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.