XFL 12 problem

Bought a used xfl 12 that I hooked up yesterday. Everything looked good before install other than I noticed it was extremely stiff, to the point of not moving. Everything looked fine so I went on. Started playing it and there is no movement or bass until nearly full volume and once I get to that point it's still quiet (compare to my sa12) and I can jhear a rattle behind the dust cover.

Upon hearing this I shut everything off. I tried pushing on the cone to check for coil rub and hear and felt this odd noiseand feeling. The feeling is hard to describe but it felt didn't feel smooth at all like my SA.

Guessing a recone is the only fix but has this happend to anyone before? What does AB charge for a recone? It'sa dual 2 wwhich seems harder to find.

Does it sound like the coil is rubbing? Like a grinding noise? If so the motor is probably shifted.
No grinding just rattle. Going to take it out in a day or two. I'll get a video first. The way it felt though when I pushed in on the cone is what has me worried.

Sounds like possibly the coils has come unwound if that's the case. Then yes a new recone. About $125 plus glue How was the sub packed ? Original box ? Possibly motor shift as well. Need to see coil pics. Possibly a video to

coils shot!!!! thats my professional opinion, lol from what you described its seized..... unwound coils..... is it making a crunchy, hard to push down, griding noise when you push down?

Also, XFLs are notorious for being super crazy stiff, even after being pounded on for a while. The one I've been running is just a tiny bit looser than my spare.

Yep sounds to me like the coil is done for. I have a D4 XFL I'd sell for $125+shipping if you want another one.
I'm talking to the guy I got it from. He had a good one and blown one. He might have possibly sent me the blown one so hhrs going to test the one he's got left. I would need D2 sub so the D4 wouldn't work.

coils shot!!!! thats my professional opinion, lol from what you described its seized..... unwound coils..... is it making a crunchy, hard to push down, griding noise when you push down?
The sound when playing is like a rattle. As for the feel I can explain it, kind of crunchy but not really.

The sound when playing is like a rattle. As for the feel I can explain it, kind of crunchy but not really.
sounds like a unwound coil, but pull out the sub and look at the spider and make sure it is attached..... but that would make it still sound loud, it would just get sloppy and at high volumes make a slapping noise......

Managed to get some videos of the XFL today. Camera is kind of old so quality is kind of bad but you can hear the rattle. Something has to be up with the coil though. The sub simply wont move til about 2/3 volume or so and when its at that point it just sounds terrible.

[video=youtube;oifKEuz5h-E]

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.