Xenon 200.4 seems too hot

Flipper245

Senior VIP Member
I’m afraid I’m going to fry my amp. It feels really hot when driven hard, which is always. The fans seem to be working. Unfortunately the heat sink is at the back side of these amps. It seems there are some people on here that have some good xperidnce with these Amps. I’m about to make a new spot that mount this amp and I cannot decide if I should just mount it normally or suspend it and put a fan blowing underneath. The amp doesn’t seem to mind running hot, so far. Any opinions?

get a 1.5 inch wood block for spacers. Also try running bigger power wire and using a reducer for the amp. Believe it or not bigger power wire has solved many amplifier heat issues in most of my friend's setups.

Ok, so spacer, no fan. Yeah that amp only has 4 gauge. Two positive and two negative. The runs were about 10’ before with the negatives going right back to the batteries. This time the runs will be right around 1’ since the batteries will be right under the amp. Should I still run larger cable and reduce it or maybe try it out with 4 gauge first?

get a 1.5 inch wood block for spacers. Also try running bigger power wire and using a reducer for the amp. Believe it or not bigger power wire has solved many amplifier heat issues in most of my friend's setups.

Ok, so spacer, no fan. Yeah that amp only has 4 gauge. Two positive and two negative. The runs were about 10’ before with the negatives going right back to the batteries. This time the runs will be right around 1’ since the batteries will be right under the amp. Should I still run larger cable and reduce it or maybe try it out with 4 gauge first?
I'd try the spacers first and see how it goes then do wire upgrades as needed.

Have you felt the wires ground and power going to the amp? I ask because if they're getting warm/hot to touch, then def follow Jeff's idea. Um....another thing I wanna ask is the amp in a tucked away location w/o any air circulation around it or is it mounted in an area that's wide open? Kinda strange PG only has 4 gauge wire for that amp and yet yours is getting hot.....gotta be something else, because that amp doesn't dish out all that much wattage. Where/how is the gain set on amp? Lastly. what kind of power/ground wire are you feeding it? If it's generic brand, then that might be the issue and is small, not even 4 gauge, could be much smaller.

Yeah dual 4 gauge for each pos and neg you would think would be enough for 800watts. I’m using knu copper wire. Wire doesn’t get hot. Gains are set with dd1. They’re close to halfway. I’m only running mids and tweets but that usually doesn’t matter. There’s not a lot of space around it but it’s not crammed either. It’s hanging on the wall right behind my seat. Probably close to a foot all the way around. I tried a fan under it one time and it really helped.

Have you felt the wires ground and power going to the amp? I ask because if they're getting warm/hot to touch, then def follow Jeff's idea. Um....another thing I wanna ask is the amp in a tucked away location w/o any air circulation around it or is it mounted in an area that's wide open? Kinda strange PG only has 4 gauge wire for that amp and yet yours is getting hot.....gotta be something else, because that amp doesn't dish out all that much wattage. Where/how is the gain set on amp? Lastly. what kind of power/ground wire are you feeding it? If it's generic brand, then that might be the issue and is small, not even 4 gauge, could be much smaller.

Yeah dual 4 gauge for each pos and neg you would think would be enough for 800watts. I’m using knu copper wire. Wire doesn’t get hot. Gains are set with dd1. They’re close to halfway. I’m only running mids and tweets but that usually doesn’t matter. There’s not a lot of space around it but it’s not crammed either. It’s hanging on the wall right behind my seat. Probably close to a foot all the way around. I tried a fan under it one time and it really helped.
Is it an AB class amp? Those run pretty hot, either your over working the amp or something is wrong with the amp, but if it’s not shutting off you should be good to go.

Is it an AB class amp? Those run pretty hot, either your over working the amp or something is wrong with the amp, but if it’s not shutting off you should be good to go.
He did mention he's driving it hard...

Which means and tells me he needs another amp w/ more power.

He did mention he's driving it hard...
Which means and tells me he needs another amp w/ more power.
It if the amp runs fine hot and doesn’t shut off I wouldn’t worry about it, guess it depends how hot. If u can hold the back of your hand on the amp it’s fine, if it’s to hot to touch then yea it’s a problem

It if the amp runs fine hot and doesn’t shut off I wouldn’t worry about it, guess it depends how hot. If u can hold the back of your hand on the amp it’s fine, if it’s to hot to touch then yea it’s a problem
papermaker says his don't get hot so obviously there's a problem somewhere...maybe quit driving the amp hard for a day or two see if that does anything..?

i Really appreciate all the input. When I remount it I will leave enough space behind it to allow some airflow. If it gets too hot again I will put a fan under it. That help a lot before. It seems to be working the way it should. I know a/b Amps run pretty hot and I was just kinda hoping someone would say that it’s just the design or that they normally run hot. Maybe I’ll be more careful or maybe bridge it to my kids and get another amp for the tweets. Lol.

i Really appreciate all the input. When I remount it I will leave enough space behind it to allow some airflow. If it gets too hot again I will put a fan under it. That help a lot before. It seems to be working the way it should. I know a/b Amps run pretty hot and I was just kinda hoping someone would say that it’s just the design or that they normally run hot. Maybe I’ll be more careful or maybe bridge it to my kids and get another amp for the tweets. Lol.
bridge it to the mids and get another amp for the tweets. You'll love it. Idk i'm soo in love with bridging 4 channels nowadays. Everything just sounds better with that much power on tap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.