WTF?? JL Audio 10w7 disappointment!!

Ill agree with everyone else here that u need more power actually JL says the recommended power rating for the W7 is 1k. trying to find a 1k @ 3ohm is gonna be a bit tricky unless u can find a JL 1000/1 on the cheap. Also I had a few W7's and i can tell u they really come alive in a bigger than JL spec box. IIRC the 13W7's likes 3.5-4 cu ft and we had it tuned in the lower 40's we were getting 48's sub back port back in a 4 runner on a sounstream XXX 4k

LOL, everyone sees Audiobahn then makes fun it. That is actually not a bad amp over all. I wouldn't trade straight up, but if he would add cash I would personally consider it.

This is kind of a question and suggestion possibly. I've recently heard that if you put a sub too close to a port that it can unload causing distortion and can mess it up. How does that work and how often does that happen? Could that be an issue with his considering it only sounds crappy when turned up?

This is kind of a question and suggestion possibly. I've recently heard that if you put a sub too close to a port that it can unload causing distortion and can mess it up. How does that work and how often does that happen? Could that be an issue with his considering it only sounds crappy when turned up?
IIRC that why port length is so important and if u are using a L shaped port it stops this due to the sub essentially being trapped in the box if that makes sense.

if the box is to JL spec it probably has a L port or a "soundwave" style port which is what JL used in their H.O. boxes so i guess OP can let us in on that

IIRC that why port length is so important and if u are using a L shaped port it stops this due to the sub essentially being trapped in the box if that makes sense.
if the box is to JL spec it probably has a L port or a "soundwave" style port which is what JL used in their H.O. boxes so i guess OP can let us in on that
Ok, makes sense. That is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. When he said made to JL specs I was thinking he probably means how big his enclosure is and maybe didn't design it proper like you stated. When a sub does unload, is it normally at higher excursion or can it happen at lower also?

Is there a general rule for port lenght? I plan on fiberglassing my quarter panels in to save space but want to try to port them so I can keep my output but dont want to jack them up with this.

OP, sorry to thread jack, but the unloading at higher volumes thing might help you as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.