WTF?? JL Audio 10w7 disappointment!!

another1

OK Guys like usual I am hoping for some experience..

I have been been building my own stereos for 10+ years and the fact that I can not figure this one out is driving me mad!

I have a JL 10w7 in a ported box (that is to exact JL specs) and it is powered by the recommended jl 500 watt amp.. These are in the trunk of my car. (I am used to SUV airspace, but that shouldn't effect that much right?) The two sound superb at lower and even medium volume, but as soon as I crank it...garbage... I am a bit of a JL enthusiast and would like to stick with them but This is not gonna fly..

bigger amp yet?

scrap the sub and start over??

or am I just missing something??

anything would help fellas

Then ur asking to much from ur amp thus driving it into clipping. If u want louder then add more power. Thats assuming the subs arent already damaged from being clipped for so long....

OK, which would bring me to my next question.. will just replacing the amp fix that or do I want to start all over... I like to feel my bass more then just hear it.. i have a big four door and it takes a bit to reach up to the front.. Of coarse I still want sound quality which is why I went with the w7.. input??

I have a single 10w7 in my car and I used to run it off a 500/1, it sounded great but I wanted more. I threw it on a 1000/1 and it loves it!! A single 10w7 laughs at your 500 watts!!

I'd start with a bigger amp, see how it sounds then upgrade the substage if need be.
^^this

It will also kill 2 birds with one stone. Scrap the amp or sell it off for $ towards a better one. Plus that is your first step to starting over (like you mentioned was an option) if the sub was still no good. For the amount you could sell that 500/1 you can buy a waaaaay better 1K amp that's not JL.

OK, thanx for all of that.. one more question.. I have immediate access to an Audiobahn A2200HCJ which is capable of running 1000W x 1 @ 2 Ohm Mono... Yes or no?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.