Wrap car floor in leather vinyl?

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Was wondering if anyone ever did a vinyl on the floor of a vehicle instead of carpet. Vinyl appears to be a tad challenging to work with, atleast for me. I tried wrapping some wood and plastics in a fake leather vinyl and i had a hard time with the glue drying and now im getting air bubbles in some ofthe peices i wrapped. If i could i would do my whole car in a leather vinyl wrap i would but i need to get the basics down, i think it would be cool to wrap the floor though, although extremely unpractical

I would never do this for many reasons, but first you would need some high density foam ( preferably 1/2" ), then you obviously need the vinyl, cut the foam into patterns ( where all the flat spots start to curve and you want the patterns to be roughly 1/8" apart from each other ) then you need to cut the vinyl 1/2" larger then the foam patterns, you then need to glue the vinyl to the foam ( do not use spray adhesive from the can it just won't hold, use contact cement from an upholstery supplier and a cheap $20 cup gun from harbor freight ) then you sew the patterns together, now you have to figure out how you want to attach it to the floor, you can spray the contact cement to attach it to the floor which would be a nightmare if you ever had to remove it, so I would glue that cheap carpet you use for speaker boxes or for trunks ( called stretch carpet ) to the back of the foam and get a roll of Velcro from home depot and clean your floor really good and prep it with rubbing alcohol then only use the stiff side of the Velcro and stick several pieces to the floor and stick your vinyl floor to that this way it can be easily remove for whatever reason you need, and trust me this Velcro sticks good so no worries on it shifting.

cutting your patterns and sewing them together correctly is the most important, otherwise you will never get the vinyl to lay in on the contours without having a ton of wrinkles and bunching.

this is just one way to do it.

I would never do this for many reasons, but first you would need some high density foam ( preferably 1/2" ), then you obviously need the vinyl, cut the foam into patterns ( where all the flat spots start to curve and you want the patterns to be roughly 1/8" apart from each other ) then you need to cut the vinyl 1/2" larger then the foam patterns, you then need to glue the vinyl to the foam ( do not use spray adhesive from the can it just won't hold, use contact cement from an upholstery supplier and a cheap $20 cup gun from harbor freight ) then you sew the patterns together, now you have to figure out how you want to attach it to the floor, you can spray the contact cement to attach it to the floor which would be a nightmare if you ever had to remove it, so I would glue that cheap carpet you use for speaker boxes or for trunks ( called stretch carpet ) to the back of the foam and get a roll of Velcro from home depot and clean your floor really good and prep it with rubbing alcohol then only use the stiff side of the Velcro and stick several pieces to the floor and stick your vinyl floor to that this way it can be easily remove for whatever reason you need, and trust me this Velcro sticks good so no worries on it shifting.
cutting your patterns and sewing them together correctly is the most important, otherwise you will never get the vinyl to lay in on the contours without having a ton of wrinkles and bunching.

this is just one way to do it.
Oh wow, way more involved then i was hoping, but **** would it look good. Cleaning up spills would be a breeze. The idea came to me when i got tired of lookimg at stains on a carpet. Oh and dog hair! I would finally be able to let my dog in the car

I'm stripping my floor to metal, using pl 8x I'm attaching fiberglass mat and using a deadner roller to get smooth and then glassing over it. Will use black 2 part epoxy after as top coat. Vinyl s*cks.

I was thinking about just Rhino Lining my floor so I could spray it out like the Old Farmer's used to or they sell three-quarter inch thick rubber mats at Tractor Supply would probably look kind of different but they do have the diamond plate pattern on them and they are tough as hell not sure how it would affect it sound from a system though

Was wondering if anyone ever did a vinyl on the floor of a vehicle instead of carpet. Vinyl appears to be a tad challenging to work with, atleast for me. I tried wrapping some wood and plastics in a fake leather vinyl and i had a hard time with the glue drying and now im getting air bubbles in some ofthe peices i wrapped. If i could i would do my whole car in a leather vinyl wrap i would but i need to get the basics down, i think it would be cool to wrap the floor though, although extremely unpractical
Do you have any pics on how it came out ?

In all honesty other then wrapping that one plastic panel and making the amp rack I haven’t done much more. It was very discouraging. But I later found out I was also using a wrap that wasn’t as flexible as some other stuff I found. This summer I’m gonna continue my work

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.