Wow, MTX has gone to $#!T

eismanx
10+ year member

I havent been keeping up with too much car audio for a good while, but i have something i want to share with you guys.

So i bought a MTX TE601D from a local dealer thru craigslist. He sold me this amp along with a MTX7510 subwoofer for only $250 new. The amp alone still retails around $479 and the sub around $200 ish. I was like D@MN this is a helluva deal ! I quickly found out why, and should have taken the hint when the dealer himself told me that he would no longer be selling MTX products and these items were his last on clearance.

I made the spec box for the sub and installed the amp. I was sending 600 watts to a 400 watt subwoofer and that lasted for about 2 weeks. After that the amp started to cut out when my volume was up fairly high. Sometimes the sub and amp would cut out for about 2 or 3 seconds and cut back on. Then i get in the truck one night and the amp is on and completely lit and no sound at all. I checked everything over 2 times. Go in the store, come back out and all of a sudden it works. WTHell? After it did that for the second time it was back to the drawing board, Craigslist,lol.

This is the twist, i sell it to a friend of mine( what a good friend i am right?) ,for the same price i got it for, bought a Sundown sae 1000d with that cash, no probs, awesome amp. The MTX amp works fine for him for a week or 2 and starts doin the same thing all over again. This is the best part. He calls MTX and they try to diagnose the problem for him like he doesnt have a clue in the world. They cant tell him whats wrong with the amp, but they do tell him that if he ships it in to them, get this, they would only charge him $85 to completely change out the whole circuit board AND ship it back to him.

WTF? They are selling a nice glossy over featured amp with all kinds of cooling features for $500 w/ shipping included, and the whole d@mn board only costs about $60, what a joke. No wonder it was a piece of junk.

Thank you MTX for the older 1501D and all other great products you used to make. It has treated me like a KING and is still running strong to this day, minus the re-soldered RCA's. Thanks for a good solid run in the car audio industry, unfortunately you have disgracefully bowed out to whatever it is you claim to make now, which IMO is garbage except for the higher end overpriced line of subs you make. You have officially joined most of the other mainstream junkyards, congratulations. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

The MTX I remember and loved....BNIB....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

mtx240001.jpg

mtx240002.jpg

mtx240003.jpg

mtx240004.jpg

maybe u wired everything up wrong. how did you have the gains set? did you have the amp wired lower than it should have been? how hard were you pushing the sub and what kind of box was it in?

I call equipment abuse by OP

Pretty sure that's just what they charge to repair ANY amp.

I had an MTX 6500D repaired quite a few years ago (was my fault... clipped the hell out of it with a bass knob)... and was flat $100 to repair and ship back to me.

You're a real jerk for selling it to your friend like that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

maybe u wired everything up wrong. how did you have the gains set? did you have the amp wired lower than it should have been? how hard were you pushing the sub and what kind of box was it in?
I call equipment abuse by OP
You're hilarious dude, go harass some other NEWB. I've already had 4 different setups in this truck and never had a single issue except with this piece of junk setup. But to entertain you, i had the gain set back a bit from distortion, i never use bass boost, the 7510-44 wired in parallel @ 2ohms, i ran the sub HARD, how it's meant to be run(what kind of question is this, how hard?). And as i stated earlier, i built the spec box for it, right out of the manual, piece by piece because i was too lazy and impatient to design my own box. Oh and something you forgot to harass me about, my electrical, it's upgraded to big 3 which handles my 1501d effortlessly.

I've been installing systems for 14 years as a hobby, i think i know by now what's shitty and what isnt. Both my systems inlcude Alpine for head units, DD and Sundown for the sub stage with my old 1501 being the exception, JL Audio and Infinity fill in my highs and mids.

Im not here to brag about myself, im here to call it as i see it......

I call $hitty equipment.

Pretty sure that's just what they charge to repair ANY amp.
I had an MTX 6500D repaired quite a few years ago (was my fault... clipped the hell out of it with a bass knob)... and was flat $100 to repair and ship back to me.

You're a real jerk for selling it to your friend like that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
My friend was a witness to it messin up, he figured it'd be allright on his 150 watt W0, plus he's happy he got an amp as nice as he thinks it is for only $150 plus $85 to make it completely new. And im not talking about a "REPAIR", they told him that they would COMPLETELY SWITCH OUT THE BOARDS, everything except the shell.

You're hilarious dude, go harass some other NEWB. I've already had 4 different setups in this truck and never had a single issue except with this piece of junk setup. But to entertain you, i had the gain set back a bit from distortion, i never use bass boost, the 7510-44 wired in parallel @ 2ohms, i ran the sub HARD, how it's meant to be run(what kind of question is this, how hard?). And as i stated earlier, i built the spec box for it, right out of the manual, piece by piece because i was too lazy and impatient to design my own box. Oh and something you forgot to harass me about, my electrical, it's upgraded to big 3 which handles my 1501d effortlessly.
I've been installing systems for 14 years as a hobby, i think i know by now what's shitty and what isnt. Both my systems inlcude Alpine for head units, DD and Sundown for the sub stage with my old 1501 being the exception, JL Audio and Infinity fill in my highs and mids.

Im not here to brag about myself, im here to call it as i see it......

I call $hitty equipment.
hobbiest does not mean professional. your couple dozen systems doesnt compare to our 1000's. He hada point in asking how hard did you run them. did you allow for the proper amount of time for break in so you dont ruin the coil? When you set your gain do you do it correctly? you know with white noise and pink noise and an o scope? there is a right way and there is a back yard way...

Well, we used to be MTX dealers and dropped them. I returned so many TA5601's it was crazy...like 1 out of every 4 sold the year they first came out. IIRC, the TE601D same board w/ a super special chrome case that makes it $100 more MSRP, lol.

That was the only MTX amp we ever had trouble with though. I got alot of returns on the 4500 and 5500 subs too. Picked up DD, never looked back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.