Would a stock battery run this setup

ogpayne

Would a stock battery on a 2004 Chevy Cavalier run this?

I'm not sure how to figure it out myself, otherwise I would. If a stock battery WONT run this, what should I do (that is cheap) to be able to run it?

x2 --- Boss P126DVC 12" Dual 4 ohm Phantom Car Subwoofer

--- https://www.mtx.com/tne212d-mtx-car-subwoofer-enclosure

--- Boss NXD5500 Onyx Series Class D Power Amplifier

--- Car Stereo Receiver - CDXGT565UP Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

Thanks a lot for the help.

I don't understand what you want to do.

A pair of DVC 4's, a 2 ohm mtx box and a 1 ohm mono amp...

You could put the Boss subs on the amp, but there's really nothing you can do with the mtx enclosure.

Electrical system function is a lot more about the alternator than the battery.

I don't know specifically what size alt you car has, but it WILL run.

In most cases - short term operation isn't the problem. It's the long term stress on the alternator. That amp might do 1500w rms or so at 1 ohm. If you play it at high volume a lot I wouldn't expect your stock alt to last more than a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
A stock battery would DEFINATLEY be able to run that i dint think theres a stock battery that cant. That amp doesnt put out NOWHERE NEAR what it states. Thats the reason for the above comment if you can return it.

I don't understand what you want to do.A pair of DVC 4's, a 2 ohm mtx box and a 1 ohm mono amp...

You could put the Boss subs on the amp, but there's really nothing you can do with the mtx enclosure.

Electrical system function is a lot more about the alternator than the battery.

I don't know specifically what size alt you car has, but it WILL run.

In most cases - short term operation isn't the problem. It's the long term stress on the alternator. That amp might do 1500w rms or so at 1 ohm. If you play it at high volume a lot I wouldn't expect your stock alt to last more than a few months.
You can obviously tell I have no idea what I'm doing. So the only thing here that I have is the MTX enclosure, the amp I currently have can not fully push that enclosure without cutting off, so I was wanting to get a better amp and also 2 more 12s. I'm sorry for my stupidity in this field, but what amp would you recommend to push the MTX subs to their max, and also 2 more subs that I can get? Since the MTX subs are 2 ohm, does that mean I need a 2 ohm amp, and then if I were to get more subs they would also need to be 2 ohm? Thank you for your help and patience.

So do you want 4 subs or 2 new subs to replace ypur current mtx? How much money do you have so we can see what you can get because theres wayyyyyy better stuff out there. Boss, pyle, performance teknique ans those brands are all fake they put random big numbers on the boxes so people buy the stuff but its a lie. (In the car audio world theres no rules or regulations on companies as to what they write on their box)

So do you want 4 subs or 2 new subs to replace ypur current mtx? How much money do you have so we can see what you can get because theres wayyyyyy better stuff out there. Boss, pyle, performance teknique ans those brands are all fake they put random big numbers on the boxes so people buy the stuff but its a lie. (In the car audio world theres no rules or regulations on companies as to what they write on their box)
I was wanting 4, but if it would be a better idea to sell the MTXs and my Pioneer GM5500T then I will just do that. I will have about $700 to spend but I really don't want to spend more than $350 from that, I would spend every penny of what I get from what I sell, but I don't want to spend more than what I said from my paycheck. Thanks for this help man..

sell em off and do one good 15" in a proper ported enclosure. You will get nowhere with cheap subs in prebuilt junk boxes.

SoundQubed HDS215 15 INCH SUBWOOFER - SSA STORE one of this, choose D2 option so you can wire down to 1 ohm and MB Quart OA1000.1 Onyx Series 1000W Monoblock Amplifier one of this.

I'd recommend you building your own ported enclosure its very simple here's some free box plans with a cutout sheet, *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum go to home depot, buy the wood, have the guys in there do the cuts for you, take it home glue and screw, have a friend with a jigsaw and cut the hole. Shouldnt cost you more then 60 bucks. The box plays the biggest role in how loud and good sounding you get. Do not F*ck that part up buy being lazy and buying a junk pre made box from craigslist or amazon.

thats underneath your 350 dollar budget and will get louder and lower then your original idea.

never heard of the sub? well here it is in action

If your car is big and you want to spend a lil more and go all out then you can get two of the 4 ohm hds200 15s and wire it parallel to a proper 2000 rms amp, you need a bigger amp and a big 3 upgrade kit(google this up or youtube it)

sell em off and do one good 15" in a proper ported enclosure. You will get nowhere with cheap subs in prebuilt junk boxes.
SoundQubed HDS215 15 INCH SUBWOOFER - SSA STORE one of this, choose D2 option so you can wire down to 1 ohm and MB Quart OA1000.1 Onyx Series 1000W Monoblock Amplifier one of this.

I'd recommend you building your own ported enclosure its very simple here's some free box plans with a cutout sheet, *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum go to home depot, buy the wood, have the guys in there do the cuts for you, take it home glue and screw, have a friend with a jigsaw and cut the hole. Shouldnt cost you more then 60 bucks. The box plays the biggest role in how loud and good sounding you get. Do not F*ck that part up buy being lazy and buying a junk pre made box from craigslist or amazon.

thats underneath your 350 dollar budget and will get louder and lower then your original idea.

never heard of the sub? well here it is in action

So 1 15 would be better than 2 12s? What if I were to get 4, 12s, or 2 15s? Which would sound better and hit harder? My goal is to have my rear view mirror shaking itself sideways, and being able to be heard from about 2 blocks. That's been my goal since I've gotten into this hobby :). And I have a cavalier ls btw, it isn't that big but I guarantee 2 12 enclosures with 2 subs would fit into my trunk

So 1 15 would be better than 2 12s? What if I were to get 4, 12s, or 2 15s? Which would sound better and hit harder? My goal is to have my rear view mirror shaking itself sideways, and being able to be heard from about 2 blocks. That's been my goal since I've gotten into this hobby :). And I have a cavalier ls btw, it isn't that big but I guarantee 2 12 enclosures with 2 subs would fit into my trunk
Going the multiple sub route will get expensive quick. Amps get much more expensive and getting the electrical to support that much power gets really expensive. I have roughly $800 (others on here have thousands in theirs) in my electrical and haven't even began to get it to where I want it.

Going the multiple sub route will get expensive quick. Amps get much more expensive and getting the electrical to support that much power gets really expensive. I have roughly $800 (others on here have thousands in theirs) in my electrical and haven't even began to get it to where I want it.
I'm sure I'll spend that much over time but I don't want to drop a few k in one buy. I just want a trunk full of some hard hitting subs, and I have a small trunk so it won't be hard..

Gotta straighten you out man...

If you think you will get loud and low cramming subs into tight spaces, you are on the wrong track of mind, get out of that newb mindset. More junk subs does not = louder then actual good subs. What makes a sub loud is the motor force and Xmax capabilities. which the ones you have pretty much have zilch.

You need to know that the enclosure is EVERYTHING, you are not gonna get loud at all if you think your premade boxes are legit boxes.

your box for 12s is actually only big enough for 10s and 8"s. They are piece of sh*t boxes where you are not gonna get loud at all and those are SEALED boxes. You are not gonna get anywhere with SEALED boxes, you need CUSTOM PORTED boxes yes CUSTOM not garbage you buy from ebay, amazon, sonic, crutcfield etc. but actual handmade enclosures built FOR YOUR SUB.

Real custom ported enclosures, your cavalier trunk only has enough room for 1 ported 15 or 2 ported 12s. There's a lot of factors that come to play when you want to get loud(displacement, box rise, cancellation, cabin gain, subwoofer loading etc). You've never experience what a sub with proper amounts of airspace can do. its where the sound magic happens.

With that budget you arent going to get much out of the system. Especially on stock battery and alternator, even if you get good stuff, you'll blow em up right away. Nothing worse then giving a demo and having to bring a fire extinguisher out because your voltage drops like crazy.

Wait until you have a real budget that can pay for proper AGM battery upgrades along with Big 3 upgrades and enough money for a proper amp, powerful sub and a custom box.

I'm sure I'll spend that much over time but I don't want to drop a few k in one buy. I just want a trunk full of some hard hitting subs, and I have a small trunk so it won't be hard..
where the subwoofer is firing at makes a big difference too especially in the trunk, it has to be firing to the rear around 4-6 inches away from the trunk lid. This process is called subwoofer loading. If you have it too far away from the trunk lid, the bass waves will have to travel further and they will cancel eachother out. By putting it closer to the lid, there's less cancellation and most of the bass goes to the cabin of the car.

You cant just have a bunch of subs facing upwards and think it'll be loud and sound good, doesnt work that way. Most you can probably do in your trunk is to build a wall for 2 15s like this

532362_434820986552555_1065963131_n.jpg

It seals off back trunk not allowing bass to enter back there and all the bass goes into the cabin for you to hear. Those subs are American Bass XFL 15s. You'll need an amp like a soundqubed 2200.1D or a soundqubed 3500.1 D to drive them. Look those up, Sh*T gets expensive when you wanna do sh*t right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.