Working for a shop.

dubsports
10+ year member

If anyone who works at a car audio shop reads this than could they respond as to how they got there?

I've tried pretty much every shop around my area, and the problem is I know what Im talking about.. and I could do just as well if not better than some of the other goobers they hire, but I dont have any actual credientials.

Whats more is that Im only 16 and that works against my favour.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Am I trying to accomplish something my chances are quite thin here??

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

going to be quite difficult to get a job at a car audio shop specially considering your age and work history......i suggest checking out http://ce.org see about getting mcep certified.....that will help considerably....peace

Im currently working at my friends car audio store, sponsered by fusion, its called Music Masters... Im only sixteen but they don't hire anyone under 18 im lucking I guess...

18 is the key, as well as experience or training. Think about it this way- would you want some kid with no experience working on your car? I don't even want someone without some serious training changing the oil in my car. Ask the guys at the local shop if they would consider a job-shadowing or training type program. SOme shops offer that, unless they are really small and don't give a ****. Don't expect to get paid for it though.

Originally posted by dubsports Oh, maybe I wasn't clear... I was talking about selling the equip. not installing it.
thats even worse, would a 18 yo guy want to buy from a inexperinced 16 yo?

Well Im not talking about extremely high end dealers.

Im talking about places who do all around audio.. and mostly sell kenwood, sony, etc. etc. type name brands.

The same principle applies when a thirty something male comes in and asks an 18 year old guy to show him what they've got. I don't believe age is an honest way to determine who's the best for the job.

However, I can see where you're coming from. And I can see shop managers thinking the same way... unfortunately. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Actually you probably would have an easier time getting a sales job at 16. I would go somewhere like American, Best Buy, or Circuit City though (I don't know their minimum age rqmts. though). A specialty shop wants someone who looks like they have been doing this for a while and knows everything. You certainly would have an uphill battle there.

Can you schmooz? It helps a lot to be able to do that in sales. I would think it would be easier to get a job in the back. Just say you'll work for free at first and then they can pay you if you've done a good job. But 18 helps a lot just for legal reasons too. If you signed a waiver saying you wouldn't sue if physical harm came to you while on the job; that waiver would be worthless because of your age and your parents. The company/shop becomes completely liable for you.

Originally posted by DiB Can you schmooz? It helps a lot to be able to do that in sales. I would think it would be easier to get a job in the back. Just say you'll work for free at first and then they can pay you if you've done a good job. But 18 helps a lot just for legal reasons too. If you signed a waiver saying you wouldn't sue if physical harm came to you while on the job; that waiver would be worthless because of your age and your parents. The company/shop becomes completely liable for you.
I believe it's completely legal to have most jobs in the US at age 16, but it always depends on the local laws. All jobs, such as bartender, where you serve alcohol you have to be 18. Otherwise it's completely up to the company.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.