woofer excursion

audioarsonal
10+ year member

JaMarcus
ok in therory a woofer with an xmax double of another would move the same amount of air as two of the woofers with the lesser xmax correct?example 12mm compared to 24mm xmax.i am looking for SPL not SQ.am i correct in my thinking??please help!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

ok in therory a woofer with an xmax double of another would move the same amount of air as two of the woofers with the lesser xmax correct?example 12mm compared to 24mm xmax.i am looking for SPL not SQ.am i correct in my thinking??please help!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Yes, you are correct.

Two 12's moving 12mm would have the same displacement as a single 12 moving 24mm...assuming ofcourse that they have the same cone area.

a 12" with 24mm xmax would have a much larger surround than a driver with 12mm xmax so the cone area wouldnt be as large

i would say a 12" sub with 26mm xmax would equal two 12" subs with 12mm xmax to adjust for the decrease in area

i'm just here spouting out half cocked theories really;)

new boxes for the specs or to fit the woofer??i confused.of course i would build another box to specs for the replacements but i am talking all things being equal that a sub with higher excursion means more moving air mass which means more DB right?

new boxes for the specs or to fit the woofer??i confused.of course i would build another box to specs for the replacements but i am talking all things being equal that a sub with higher excursion means more moving air mass which means more DB right?
Not really. If you're just looking to get loud on a meter, the sub's max linear excursion is not the one and only place to look. At and around tuning, the sub sees a large resistance in the enclosure which limits cone movement. In order to increase output at and around tuning, you need a sub with a ton of motor strength (high BL and low Qes are two specs to look for). If the sub has all the excursion in the world but a weak ass motor, that excursion isn't going to mean jack ****. When you're close to the tuning frequency of the enclosure, your main source of output is from the port itself so you want a sub that can really drive the enclosure to resonate.

tl;dr: If you're looking for a sub to just get loud, look for something with a low Qts, low Qes, high BL, low Mms, high power handling, and stiff suspension. Xmax should not really be a huge concern.

Not really. If you're just looking to get loud on a meter, the sub's max linear excursion is not the one and only place to look. At and around tuning, the sub sees a large resistance in the enclosure which limits cone movement. In order to increase output at and around tuning, you need a sub with a ton of motor strength (high BL and low Qes are two specs to look for). If the sub has all the excursion in the world but a weak ass motor, that excursion isn't going to mean jack ****. When you're close to the tuning frequency of the enclosure, your main source of output is from the port itself so you want a sub that can really drive the enclosure to resonate.
tl;dr: If you're looking for a sub to just get loud, look for something with a low Qts, low Qes, high BL, low Mms, high power handling, and stiff suspension. Xmax should not really be a huge concern.
now in this instance you are correct... xmax isn't going to matter much at all because the sub is at it loudest using a lower xmax... but then again it does... lets do a what if here.....

lets take 2 12's, they are identical in almost all of there specs exept woofer #2 has a higher xmax....

they are both in an enclousure tuned close to their resonant frequency but at that frequency they can take enough power to reach full xmax... then sub #2 will be louder... but that doesn't happen very often (because most woofers can't reach full excursion at resonance)...

the only time Xmax shouldn't concern you much at all, is when you are designing a pure competition SPL setup, designed to be burped, not play music...

in any musical setup xmax is a concern... and more of a concern with more diversity of music preference

^^ I've never seen so much information given without a shred of evidence to prove it. This is even worse coming from the most laughed-at man on CA.com.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.