Wood help

What would be the best wood to use to build a box? Like would I hear a difference in mdf and hdf and also birch is the only advantage for birch is that it's lighter? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!
MDF is the standard "go to" wood for box building. It is strong, doesn't resonate and flex like a lot of other plywoods do, and is fairly cheap and easy to cut.
Funny you say strong and doesnt flex lmfao, complete opposite.

here is a test done by a person testing the strength of wood.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/206653-an-experiment-in-box-materials/

These are the results of the test where he put weight on the wood so it bends aka deflection. The smaller the number, the less the bend, the stronger the wood, I also included the overall weight for a 4 x 8 sheet of wood.

Baltic Birch .0315" of deflection - 2.36 lbs/square foot = 75.52lbs ~100$+

Arauco .041" of deflection - 1.875 lbs/square foot = 60lbs ~35$

China Pine .0415" of deflection - 2.06 lbs/square foot = 65.92lbs ~30$

MDF .067" of deflection - 2.92 lbs/square foot = 93.44lbs ~30$

OSB .023" of deflection - 2.48 lbs/square foot = 79.36lbs ~20$

BTW there is NO audible sound difference or unwanted resonance whatsoever as long as you properly brace your boxes. Absolute ZERO reasons to go HDF and MDF nowadays, heavy, weak, fragile and dirty with a lot of sawdust. I'd go with arauco anyday. the lighter the better.

PS baltic birch costs 100+ a sheet.

if you see any birch thats 55 dollars a sheet, thats just normal china ply with a a birch veneer so basically you are paying a lot extra for veneer, not actual birch.

I was comparing it to general plywoods. Of course there are other woods that can beat it in certain categories. But for price, strength, flex, and availability, MDF is perfectly fine and is the standard for these reasons.

I never said it was "the best", just that it was a general standard and perfectly fine for just about any build.

Funny you say strong and doesnt flex lmfao, complete opposite.
here is a test done by a person testing the strength of wood.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/206653-an-experiment-in-box-materials/

These are the results of the test where he put weight on the wood so it bends aka deflection. The smaller the number, the less the bend, the stronger the wood, I also included the overall weight for a 4 x 8 sheet of wood.

Baltic Birch .0315" of deflection - 2.36 lbs/square foot = 75.52lbs ~100$+

Arauco .041" of deflection - 1.875 lbs/square foot = 60lbs ~35$

China Pine .0415" of deflection - 2.06 lbs/square foot = 65.92lbs ~30$

MDF .067" of deflection - 2.92 lbs/square foot = 93.44lbs ~30$

OSB .023" of deflection - 2.48 lbs/square foot = 79.36lbs ~20$

BTW there is NO audible sound difference or unwanted resonance whatsoever as long as you properly brace your boxes. Absolute ZERO reasons to go HDF and MDF nowadays, heavy, weak, fragile and dirty with a lot of sawdust. I'd go with arauco anyday. the lighter the better.

PS baltic birch costs 100+ a sheet.

if you see any birch thats 55 dollars a sheet, thats just normal china ply with a a birch veneer so basically you are paying a lot extra for veneer, not actual birch.

It actually seems like Arauco isn't that bad of an option

I was comparing it to general plywoods. Of course there are other woods that can beat it in certain categories. But for price, strength, flex, and availability, MDF is perfectly fine and is the standard for these reasons.
I never said it was "the best", just that it was a general standard and perfectly fine for just about any build.
Chinese ply is lighter, much stronger and the same price. Easier to work with, no stripped holes, no excessive sawdust so yeah its beaten in every category. Just people are too stuck on traditional thinking and what they originally researched aka hear from old school guys. While theres vastly superior options out there.

It actually seems like Arauco isn't that bad of an option
Yeah that weight to strength to price ratio is amazing. Makes a huge difference in walled builds between stock and upgraded suspension $$$$

Chinese ply is lighter, much stronger and the same price. Easier to work with, no stripped holes, no excessive sawdust so yeah its beaten in every category. Just people are too stuck on traditional thinking and what they originally researched aka hear from old school guys. While theres vastly superior options out there.

Yeah that weight to strength to price ratio is amazing. Makes a huge difference in walled builds between stock and upgraded suspension $$$$
I may go with that, its insanely light, I just have to figure out where I can buy it from.

Next wood I'm buying is baltic birch. Yes it's more $$ than mdf but beats it in the weight class.

Will be for a tline 8" enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.