Wiring passive with extra woofer in parallel?

i2ain2thunder
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
st paul, mn
I've got 4 single voice coil 4ohm woofers, and 4 component sets that are 4ohms. I want to run everything to my 4channel amp so I'm thinking of running it parallel to 2ohms per channel. How do I do that? Never tried wiring parallel with xovers involved not sure how to do it or if it can/should be done. The components are already wired into the amp. It would be even nicer if I could get the 4 additional woofers to have the benefit of the crossover so I could kill the 2khz+ . So I'm wondering if I can run the extra woofers' voice coils to the output on the xover? Or do you have to do it with the input wires for the xover?

What type of amp and woofers and comps?

It would probably make more sense to parallel the components on channels 1&2 then parallel the woofers on 3&4. If your amp has a built in LPF on channels 3&4 it would work better than screwing around with the passive crossovers. If it doesn't have a built in LPF a 2 way electronic crossover would work. This is all assuming your amp is powerful enough to run everything though.

You will need to wire two sets of components to channel 1 and two component sets to channel 2. That means the positive and negative of each channel (1&2) will go the positive and negative of the crossovers of two component sets. So two crossovers connected to channel 1 and channel 2. Obviously the right and left component sets should be wired to the same channel. Same thing with the subs. Channel 3 Positive will go to the positive of two of your subs. Channel 3 negative goes to the negative of those same two subs. Channel 4 will be connected to your other two subs just like channel three. If your amp has built in crossovers, Highpass the front two and Lowpass the rear channels. I don't know what amp you have but it is probably going to run VERY hot if you push it hard at all. Make sure you have plenty of air space around it. Also make sure that you have the correct gauge power and ground wires and make very good connections on both.

Oh lol I screwed up and confused everyone the 4 woofers I'm talking about are mid bass woofers 7in 60watt rms, they are not subwoofers I have a separate amp for my subwoofers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I can wire the 4 components to 2 channels and the 4 mids to 2 channels, but thats gonna be a huge hassle for me rewiring everything, so I was wondering if it is possible to wire each one of those mid woofers in parallel with the xovers somehow because that would be really easy to wire. And I might be able to take advantage of the 2khx crossover for the midbass 7s somehow?

My 4channel is a MA Audio M489i, my front components are Clarion SRP4620M my rear components are Eclipse SC6900 my 4 midbass drivers are Dayton Audio RS180-4

I was wondering if hooking the + of my mid to the + for the woofer on my passive and teh - of my mid to the - of the woofer on my passive would work or if A: that way the impedance would be fuked up, B: that way the xover wouldn't work right, C: idk.

lowering the impedance or raising it one passive crossovers will mess with the crossover setting. so it wouldn't sound the same with the woofers wired into 2 ohms. If you were running active, you could run as many mids as you'd like at what ever crossover point you'd like.

lowering the impedance or raising it one passive crossovers will mess with the crossover setting. so it wouldn't sound the same with the woofers wired into 2 ohms. If you were running active, you could run as many mids as you'd like at what ever crossover point you'd like.
^^^

This. If you must add more speakers beyond the passive crossover you must keep the end impedence the same as the crossover is designed for if you want it to perform properly.

hrm mebe I should just ditch the components and buy 4 nice tweets and replace it all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh lol I screwed up and confused everyone the 4 woofers I'm talking about are mid bass woofers 7in 60watt rms, they are not subwoofers I have a separate amp for my subwoofers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.I can wire the 4 components to 2 channels and the 4 mids to 2 channels, but thats gonna be a huge hassle for me rewiring everything, so I was wondering if it is possible to wire each one of those mid woofers in parallel with the xovers somehow because that would be really easy to wire. And I might be able to take advantage of the 2khx crossover for the midbass 7s somehow?
If you dont want to run new wires you will need another passive crossover for your midbass, 2khz is probably to high for a midbass anyway. If you had a passive LPF in the 300-500hz range you could wire that in parallel with the inputs on your comps passive crossover. Something like this but with a little lower frequency would work 800 Hz Low Pass 4 Ohm Crossover

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.