Wiring multiple amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nnn

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aus
Hello, I was looking to wire up an amp for front speakers, another for rear speakers, and another for the sub. Assuming the head unit has RCA outs for each, is it as simple as running an amp wiring kit from each amp to a distribution block. Eg all power to a distribution block, then to a fuse and the battery. All ground to a distribution block, then to a ground on the chassis. Large gauge on the final to and from, and relevant gauges for each amp etc? If that makes sense. If so, just one big fuse near the battery? any separate fuses after the distribution block?

For reference, the speakers would be 200w max, the amps for each will be 400w max. The amp is 1800w max and 2 subs are 1000w max each.
I would assume its 0 gauge from the battery to distribution block, then a smaller gauge to the sub amp, even smaller gauge to the speaker amps. Then the same for ground. 0 gauge from chassis to distribution block etc

I've only ever had speakers off a head unit, then wired a sub/amp. I just want to be sure of what I'm doing so I don't kill anything. What I just wrote makes sense to me in theory, but I'm no microbiologist.

Any help would be great. Or diagrams.

Thanks in advance

So, the size wire depends on what amplifiers you're running. Different RMS' and even different brands require different things. Max ratings mean nothing. Only look at the RMS rating.
Depending on how much power you want to run, you might need another, stronger AGM battery, or 2, or even a new high output alternator. It's not just as simple as running everything off your stock battery all the time. So again, a rundown on specific equipment you're using would help.
But to make it simple. Battery positive to fuse (as close to battery as you can). Fuse to distro block (preferably a fused distribution block). Distribution block the amplifiers. Then amplifiers to grounding location. You can also use a solid distribution block for that, or just ground the amplifiers on their own ground.
Lastly, depending on how you want to set everything up, you might be able to get away with just a single 4 channel for front speakers and rear speakers. That's usually how it's done unless you want them wired and maybe crossed over in a specific way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...