wiring head unit for 2001 toyota avalon

Participant count
  • Participant list

slack
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NC
anyone ever hooked up a head unit for a 2001 toyota avalon? From everything ive read, i have to bypass an external amp behind the glovebox which sounds like a major pain in the ass. Do u think it would be better for me just to take it to a shop and have them do all that mess? It seems like ill have to run new wires from the head unit to the speakers and whatnot and im not really up for that task. Any insight would be appreciated

Are you just adding a head unit?

i will be adding an amp and a sub, but thats no problem, just wiring the head unit to the car is what im worried about.

An amp integrator harness is available which uses the new head unit's RCA outputs to feed the factory amp. For it to work correctly, you need a head unit with front and rear outputs; and since you're planning to add another amp and sub, you'll probably want your head unit to have a dedicated sub output too. Otherwise you'll have to bypass the amp behind the glove box. It's not that tough to do; just pull the output plug out of the amp, identify which wires go to which speakers, and then extend them up to the new head unit.

cool, ill be using an Alpine cda9827 for my head unit which has the sub outs, im not sure about outs for the speaker amp. do u know where i can get this integrator harness?

The harness is Metra's 70-8112.

One caveat: I've used this harness 7-8 times for installs in Lexus and Toyota vehicles. Most of the time it works fine, but twice I've had ground noise through the speakers after the installation. Both times were with Pioneer head units; that may or may not have made a difference because I've used Pioneers with this harness with no problems, too.

that looks cool, but by telling the best buy website that i have a 2001 toyota avalon it says it wont fit... do u think it will still work?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.