wiring Avionixx 800.2 & USX4085, have I thought of everything I need?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Belgarion
10+ year member

I am finally getting ready to install my system, and here is what I am wiring up:

System

---------

US Acoustics 4085 4-ch amp (85 WRMS x 4)

Avionixx 800.2 amp 400 WRMS x 2

Alpine 9815 HU (already installed)

CL-61a components

Ed 12o.44 DVC sub (just one, for now)

Wiring

--------

14 ft 2 AWG power wire

Magnetic Circuit Breaker (100 amp)

distro block (power) - 2 AWG to 4 AWG

distro block (power) - 4 AWG to 8 AWG

5 ft 4 AWG power wire

5 ft 4 AWG ground wire

5 ft 8 AWG power wire

5 ft 8 AWG ground wire

12 ft 18 AWG power wire (remote turn on wire)

2 pairs of RCA cables (one for each amp)

20 ft 12 AWG speaker wire

crimpless ring terminals/connectors

Have I forgotten anything? Do I need the second distro block to bring the 4 gauge down to 8 gauge for the USX-4085? Or can a 4 gauge output on a distro block handle 8 gauge as well? And how do I control both amps with one remote turn on from the HU?

This is my first serious system, so please.... let me know if I am doing anything stupid!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Thanks!!

are you getting all that wire for a good price?? Because if not I would reccomend loking at knukonceptz.com and checking out their amp wiring kits(very cheap)

To my knowledge you only need one distro block... and instead of the circuit breakers you can just use the inline fuse that comes with those amp kits

I'm pretty sure 8 gauge would be fine with that amp,

nice set up, kinda like mine(check sig) and show pics!!!

Originally posted by burtonsnow83 are you getting all that wire for a good price??
ummm no.... well, the 2 gauge is $4/ft, and the 4 gauge is $2.50/ft, so it is not that bad.

Because if not I would reccomend loking at knukonceptz.com and checking out their amp wiring kits(very cheap)
the problem is I can't find any amp kits or distro blocks that can handle both amps... the Avionixx wants 4 gauge, and the US Acoustics wants 8 gauge....

nice set up, kinda like mine(check sig) and show pics!!!
Nice.... you must love that system! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif How did you wire up the 800.2 and the 2080?

well with my distro blocks i dont see why u cant plug 8 guage in there, it says 4 guage and fir that perfect, but it will grip 8 guage for sure. I wouldnt worry about 2 distro's cause thats just wasted wire and money. Circuit breaker isnt really necesary, inline fuse will work, but its up to u. You can install a relay to make sure each turn on wire is indeed getting 12 volts, a relay is just a little smart than splicing the remote wire.. 12 gauge is fine, dont worry about it if ya go smaller (i run like 18 gauge turn on wire). good luck with it all..

Just my opinion.. but I think 18 awg for speaker wire is a little insufficient. I mean everyone says its just wire and all that, and I agree, but there are times when you want something bigger than that. Running 400 rms is a lot for that little wire. Go with 12 awg. :-D

Just my opinion and giving some input. I guess most other people would disagree.

Check Walmart for wiring kits and speaker wire and such. They carry some good Schoshe stuff. Thats all I use. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

After doing a search on "Stinger" in this forum, and reading a few dozen posts (yeah, it is getting late), I have another thought....

The wiring setup I listed above is going to cost me about $150. But, according to Crutchfield's "What is Wire Gauge?" chart (located here), as long as I am with 16 ft. from the amp to the battery, I should be able to draw upto 125 amps through a 4 gauge wire!

Is this true? If it is, then I should be able to use the Scosche 1100 Watt wiring kit from WalMart (which is here)! Can I get away with this $25 kit?

The only concern I will have with that kit is the inline fuse is 80 amps.... since I will only be using 2 ch out of the 4 ch on the USX-4085 (90 watts/ch), I should not be drawing all 35 amps it is fused for.... and the Avionixx just says a "max" of 100 amps....

Can anyone out there with two amps (one for comps, one for subs) tell me if the are using 4 gauge from the battery, then 4 gauge to the sub amp and 8 gauge to the comp amp?

yeh, 18 is a little small, although its most likely what was stock on the car.. i think that going from 18 to 14 u wont notice a **** thing, but its up to u.

Originally posted by junocdx Just my opinion.. but I think 18 awg for speaker wire is a little insufficient. I mean everyone says its just wire and all that, and I agree, but there are times when you want something bigger than that. Running 400 rms is a lot for that little wire. Go with 12 awg. :-D

Just my opinion and giving some input. I guess most other people would disagree.

Check Walmart for wiring kits and speaker wire and such. They carry some good Schoshe stuff. Thats all I use. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I agree... that would be harsh... but the 12 awg was for the CL-61a's (comps).... the 18 AWG was for the remote turn on.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i think that 2 guage would be better than 4 man.. 4 just seems a little to small to me.. u want ur amps to be able to supply full power, or theres no point.. you shouldnt be spending $4.50/ft on 2 guage either man.. find somewhere cheaper and u wont be droppin $150 on wire..

Originally posted by burtonsnow83 http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=D&Product_Code=STEE8&Category_Code=DB

http://www.knukonceptz.com

that distro allows anywhere from 1-8 in and 1-8 out, should work for that application

I think I am doing 0/1 in and 4 awg and 8awg out for me, havent got it hooked up yet, waiting for my amp
Nice setup.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.