wiring amp/subs

I hop[e you knpow basic math skills

Check the ratings on the amp, and on the subs.

If the voice coils are all 4 ohm and the amplifier is only 4ohm stable i would connect it in a series-parallel configuration

to do this, take one of the subs and wire the (-) on one voice coil to the (+) on the other.

do this on both subs.

Now wire the (+) terminal on the amp to the remains (+) terminal on BOTH subs. Do the same for the negative this will give you a 4 ohm load.

If the coils aren't 4 ohms each use two of Ohm's Laws to figure out the best setup.

the two laws you'll need are:

in series R1+R2=Rt

in parallel (1/R1) + (1/R2) = (1/Rt)

to find a series-parallel setup you'll need both formulas. in the example above I used:

(1/(R1 +R2)) + (1/(R3+R4) = (1/Rt)

which works out to:

(1/(4+4)) + (1/(4+4)) = (1/8) + (1/8) = (1/4) = 4 ohms

Hey Steven, I got a question for ya.

I have two JL Audio W3 subs which both have dual 4ohm voice coils. And my amp is 4 ohm stable. And of course I have a positive and negative wire coming out of my box from each sub. That's ok, right? I shouldn't have a pos. and neg. coming from each voice coil of each speaker should I? But anyway, so I should take, for instance, the left(-) speaker wire and crimp it to the right(+) speaker wire and then plug in the remaining wires from the speakers to the corresponding terminals? If that's incorrect, please correct me.

You should follow the wiring instructions I gave the other guy.

On Both subs connect the (+) on one voice coil to the (-) on the other voice coil on the same sub.

Now connect the remaining (+) terminals on both subs (one from each sub) tothe (+) terminal on the amp. Connect the remaining (-) terminals on both subs (one from each sub) tothe (-) terminal on the amp.

The two subs will be at 8 ohms each, but because they are in parallel they will be running at 4ohms total

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.