wiring a dual 4 ohm subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

supra1987

Senior VIP Member
Ok.I think this has a simple answer I just can't see the light.I have a 4ohm dual voicecoil jl subwoofer and would like to know if it makes any difference if I only use one coil or both.I would like to leave it at a 4 ohm load so I can run it parallel with another (same sub) so the amp sees 2 ohms.I have read conflicting info in regards to only using one coil with a sub with dual coils.I don't know.any info would be appreciated.

original poster - I don't think you are getting clear advice.

1) If it is a dual VC 4-ohm sub, then it can be wired for 2 ohms (parallel) or 8ohms (series) if using *both* coils.

2) It is *possible* to use only one coil and run the sub as a 4-ohm load, BUT the one coil will only be able to handle HALF the rated power of the sub, so you have to be careful to set gains and not blow the single VC.

Make sense?

Makes sense now.I know the wiring basics just didn't quite know about handling half the rms with only one coil.I wired them in series and so far so good. thanks for advice

Makes sense now.I know the wiring basics just didn't quite know about handling half the rms with only one coil.I wired them in series and so far so good. thanks for advice
If you have a smart phone you can download apps for wiring. I forget that **** all the **** time... JL has an app and also does Rockford fosgate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.